Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

willkills
Returning Member

Head of Household proof of residency

• My HOH was denied and reverted back to Married File Separate. My question is my husband did not live with us the whole tax year and did not provide any help. He has a lease staying elsewhere to which I have a copy of. I also have both of my disabled adult dependent siblings living with me for the whole tax year and I only have a signed lease for them of residency just for that year. Are these good enough for proof to revert the claim back to HOH? It's all I have for proof. I already sent them proof of the disability and birth certificates. My kids where listed on my husband's address for school reasons but I have medical statment from their hospital stating they lived with me the whole tax year. If I submit the siblings lease of residency and the my children's medical residency statement, is that enough to revert? It's all I have left to give them as far as proof. I already gave them birth certificates, a statement from the husband that he didn't care for them, property tax info, and disability proof forms for siblings that they are disabled.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Sounds like you’ve got it covered. 

willkills
Returning Member

I would think so. It's just they're asking for the kitchen sink and I only have so much to prove.

It would help to know what specific test they think you did not meet, so you can tackle that specifically.  Do they think your children did not live in your home?  Do they think the children are not disabled?  That you didn't pay the household expenses?

Here is a letter The IRS uses to request proof to verify EIC claims.  These same proofs will apply to the dependent and residency tests for HOH status. https://www.eitc.irs.gov/eitc/files/downloads/f886_h-EIC_2012.pdf

willkills
Returning Member

They are going off of the school letter head and ignoring my husbands statement. This is why I went to the hospital and got a letter head stating that they did indeed live at my address the whole tax year. The reason why it showed them at his address is because we used his address to get them into that school, but the medical records show them living with me. They are not the disabled ones, it's my adult brother and sister who are. They requested a Dr form stating their condition to which I supplied to them. The they fired back about them saying no proof of residency to which I also have proof of to submit which is a signed lease by them. They do not have mail or any thing else showing proof of where they stay because it was only a temporary thing just for that tax year. So in a nut shell they denied the kids because of the school letter and they denied brother and sister because of no proof of residency. Now I have a medical statement for my kids showing proof they stayed with me and a signed lease showing proof my brother and sister stayed with me. I think that should be good enough. They wanted proof and a signed lease is legal proof. Also a medical statement is proof. Am I missing something here?

KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

You seem to have all your documents lined up. If there is a delay in processing or you need further assistance with the issue, you might consider reaching out to the Tax Advocacy Service.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies