Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I need to know about the healthcare premium tax credit in 2021 for filing in 2022?

Last year I did not claim the healthcare premium tax credit. I paid the exorbitant premiums out-of-pocket. This year I decided to use the credit, since it was available to me based on my projected income. This means my premiums have been lower (or more accurately, I've paid less than the premiums, as allowed.) However, what does this mean for tax filing in 2022 for 2021? I assume as long as I end 2021 with the same or less income  than I reported on healthcare.gov to receive the premium tax credit, I would owe NOTHING, yes?? Thanks for being here to assist!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JordanK_EA
Expert Alumni

What do I need to know about the healthcare premium tax credit in 2021 for filing in 2022?

Hi Anna! While this is a little off topic for the event, I'm happy to assist! You are correct in your assumption, that as long as your income that you reported on healthcare.gov is close to the income that is on your 2021 tax return there will be little to no effect on your premium tax credit. No matter what, however, you will be required to file Form 8962 for the Premium Tax Credit to reconcile your Advance Payments to what you're actually eligible for, for 2021. See this link for more information on the reconciliation.  

Edit: I should also note, that if your income is more than what you claimed originally, you will be required to pay back some of the advance that you received throughout the year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JordanK_EA
Expert Alumni

Hi Anna! While this is a little off topic for the event, I'm happy to assist! You are correct in your assumption, that as long as your income that you reported on healthcare.gov is close to the income that is on your 2021 tax return there will be little to no effect on your premium tax credit. No matter what, however, you will be required to file Form 8962 for the Premium Tax Credit to reconcile your Advance Payments to what you're actually eligible for, for 2021. See this link for more information on the reconciliation.  

Edit: I should also note, that if your income is more than what you claimed originally, you will be required to pay back some of the advance that you received throughout the year. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Understood. I plan to log back into my healthcare plan and re-evaluate, anyway, so I will be sure to do that so I'm not surprised next year.

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies