Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Two differnet SSA-1099s for one person

Hi, hopefully someone can help me.  I'm the executor for my parents who both passed away in 2020.  I've received my dad's SSA 1099 and TWO for my mom (same tax ID and slightly different values).  My mom's don't have post-marked dates so I don't know which was sent first.  They have slightly different benefit numbers.  One is marked SSA-1099-SM and the slightly lower valued one (but not by much) is SSA-1099-SM-UD.  I can't get through to the main SSA.  My local office says the UD form is the benefit difference she received from my dad as a spouse (so she got both values) but the web says the UD stands for update.  So the local office says they think I'd report both form for my mom, but I'm not convinced.  In fact, I'm doubting it.  I also can't seem to find any definitive answer on the web.

Anyone know for sure?

Thand in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My condolences on the loss of your parents.

You will only need to report the SSA-1099-SM-UD.  It is a updated version of the SSA-1099-SM and you do not report both versions.  Just save both forms with the tax records. 

All SSA-1099 forms are entered in the same place in TurboTax.

Here are directions for entering.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

My condolences on the loss of your parents.

You will only need to report the SSA-1099-SM-UD.  It is a updated version of the SSA-1099-SM and you do not report both versions.  Just save both forms with the tax records. 

All SSA-1099 forms are entered in the same place in TurboTax.

Here are directions for entering.

Thank you! I couldn't find the answer searching the web. Now I know what "UD" means.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies