Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MarianneK
Employee Tax Expert

I need to know if anyone can tell me about how to handle money collected from contributions from forum memberships to a PayPal account, that helps pay for forum cost?

Hello, 

In doing some research, I believe your idea would be what the IRS calls a Social Club.   They are tax exempt, if you meet the criteria.  You would file for a 501 (c) (7).  This is different from a charity.  The (7) means social club and any donation to the club is not tax deductible.  

I'm not an attorney, so I cannot provide any expertise on filing for the 501 (c) (7).  You can get the forms on irs.gov along with instructions.   You may also need to file a IRS 990 on a yearly basis, again based on qualifications.   You may want to consult with an attorney for help in setting this up and understanding the filing requirements.  

I also found that if you are officially registered as a Tax Exempt Organization, Discourse gives you a 50% discount.   See the link below, scroll to the bottom under Frequently Asked Questions. 

I hope this answers your question.   

IRS Social Club

Discourse - 50% off Tax Exempt Organizations

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RyanH5
Employee Tax Expert

I need to know if anyone can tell me about how to handle money collected from contributions from forum memberships to a PayPal account, that helps pay for forum cost?

I agree with @MarianneK in that the forum would most likely qualify as a 501c7. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies