Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed Federal extension thru Intuit online, now using already purchased Turbo Tax CD downloaded to PC and ready to file.

Turbo Tax software isn't recognizing that I filed an extension. Does that matter? I have one State ready to file as well.

I used the online Intuit/Turbo Tax link to file the extension right at the deadline.

My extension was filed, accepted and approved by the April 18th deadline, according to the emails I received from Intuit/Turbo tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Holly W
Employee Tax Expert

Filed Federal extension thru Intuit online, now using already purchased Turbo Tax CD downloaded to PC and ready to file.

Hello @Holidaybakery1 
Thank you for joining us today, we are so happy you are here!
To my understanding, you filed an extension online and you are preparing you taxes on the desktop software, but the desktop software is not syncing with the online extension.   It is okay, as long as you have verification that your extensions were received by the IRS and whichever states you filed an extension with.

With that being said, if you made any payments to the IRS or any states, you will need to enter those under Deductions & Credits and the Taxes paid.  

I hope this answers your question!  Please let me know if you have any further questions, I will be happy to help!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

smichelle17
Employee Tax Expert

You don't need to do anything special to finish a return for which you filed an extension. When your return is done and you're ready to file, the File section will walk you through the filing process, whether you want to e-file or print and mail your return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Holly W
Employee Tax Expert

Hello @Holidaybakery1 
Thank you for joining us today, we are so happy you are here!
To my understanding, you filed an extension online and you are preparing you taxes on the desktop software, but the desktop software is not syncing with the online extension.   It is okay, as long as you have verification that your extensions were received by the IRS and whichever states you filed an extension with.

With that being said, if you made any payments to the IRS or any states, you will need to enter those under Deductions & Credits and the Taxes paid.  

I hope this answers your question!  Please let me know if you have any further questions, I will be happy to help!

smichelle17
Employee Tax Expert

You don't need to do anything special to finish a return for which you filed an extension. When your return is done and you're ready to file, the File section will walk you through the filing process, whether you want to e-file or print and mail your return.

Great! I wasn't positive that's how it would work.

I've never filed an extension before, and I've used Turbo Tax to file my Business and personal taxes when I started a small business almost 30 years ago.  I love it!

Holly W
Employee Tax Expert

I am so happy to hear that!  Thank you so much for being a continued supporter of our products!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies