Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Worked in One State Part Year and Worked Remote and Out of State the Rest of the Year.

I lived the first 3 months in NC. My company is in SC. I moved to Florida in April and worked there as a remote employee the rest of the year. I paid state tax in both NC and SC. My W-2 shows partial earnings in both states. I filled out tax forms for both NC and SC. The NC taxes owed shows $0, yet SC wants another $1100. Why is that? I would think I would get taxes rebated to me for both states or at least from SC.

Can someone explain?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Worked in One State Part Year and Worked Remote and Out of State the Rest of the Year.

If you did not work in South Carolina, you would not have to pay state income taxes for the remote work- if you had any tax withholding from SC you would file a nonresident tax return reporting zero SC income to get a refund of the withholding.  You would report the income for the first three months on a Part-Year North Carolina tax return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If you did not work in South Carolina, you would not have to pay state income taxes for the remote work- if you had any tax withholding from SC you would file a nonresident tax return reporting zero SC income to get a refund of the withholding.  You would report the income for the first three months on a Part-Year North Carolina tax return.  

Thanks! When I reread the question, TurboTax asked what I earned as a resident of SC. I put on 0 and I owed no tax for either NC or SC.

I have a somewhat similar situation where I lived in GA working remotely for a firm in NY for 6 moths then moved to NYC. Where would the question be that they asked how much I earned in GA. I want to make sure I answered it correctly.  

MayaD
Expert Alumni

The income that you have earned during the 6 months that you were GA resident is the income you earned in GA. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies