Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital gains, div and int taxed in two states ny and nj

I received unemployment income from NY.  I am a full time NJ resident.  When I completed the NY portion, it appears that the amount taxed includes interest, dividends, and capital gains that transferred from the federal form, (even though I did not include this with the NY amount).  When I work on NJ, it askes about double taxed income.  The amount auto-populated is nowhere close to including the int, div, and capital gains.  I want to be sure I'm not missing something, and can include these amounts in the double taxed income column.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You're not missing anything, but you are misreading the New York tax return.  New York is not taxing all of the income, but it does use all of your income to calculate how much tax you would pay on all of your income.  Then, the tax is prorated to the amount of income that is New York income.  What you should be seeing is on the New York tax summary, it will list all of the income as "taxable" in New York, but your actual tax will be based on the income that is actually attributable to New York, and this will show up on the IT-203 as well.

Thus, on the New Jersey return, you will get a credit for the amount of tax you pay to New York on this "double-taxed" income.  It will not be the full amount that you paid to New York.  Rather, it will be the amount of tax that New Jersey will tax on the same income.  And remember that New Jersey does not tax unemployment.  So it's likely that you will not have a tax credit for New York on that portion of income for that reason.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You're not missing anything, but you are misreading the New York tax return.  New York is not taxing all of the income, but it does use all of your income to calculate how much tax you would pay on all of your income.  Then, the tax is prorated to the amount of income that is New York income.  What you should be seeing is on the New York tax summary, it will list all of the income as "taxable" in New York, but your actual tax will be based on the income that is actually attributable to New York, and this will show up on the IT-203 as well.

Thus, on the New Jersey return, you will get a credit for the amount of tax you pay to New York on this "double-taxed" income.  It will not be the full amount that you paid to New York.  Rather, it will be the amount of tax that New Jersey will tax on the same income.  And remember that New Jersey does not tax unemployment.  So it's likely that you will not have a tax credit for New York on that portion of income for that reason.

mmz
Level 2

I have a reverse situation. Live in NY, work in NJ. NJ non-resident state return wants me to indicate if bitcoin and stock gains/losses are taxable ( in Disposition of Property). Is my understanding correct that was only NY state would tax these and they should be excluded from my NJ return?

I also have Dividends from my NJ employer. Are these taxable in NJ or NY?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Were you able to resolve your issue here or are you still needing guidance? 

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

If you still are not able to solve this, please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies