Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Box 10a and 10b are blank on my 1099-G but box 11 has an amount. I did pay state taxes to Michigan throughout the unemployment benefit period. What should I put here?

Obviously box 10a should be Michigan, but what number goes in 10b for state identification number?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Box 10a and 10b are blank on my 1099-G but box 11 has an amount. I did pay state taxes to Michigan throughout the unemployment benefit period. What should I put here?

Michigan uses the federal ID number so you can use the same Payer's TIN (Federal I.D. #38-6000134).

See What is the State of Michigan federal identification number used on the Substitute Form 1099-G? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Mary,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my message. The payer's TIN on the 1099-G is 

38-2538297. That is for the unemployment office I am sure, and the TIN you are giving me is for the state of Michigan. I should be using the State of Michigan correct? I am confirming as you mentioned the payer TIN.

I wasn't sure if we do the state of Michigan TIN or the Recipient TIN. So confusing. Thank you!

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

You do want to use the Payer's TIN that is on the 1099-G.This is to make sure you get the correct credit for the taxes that was withheld.  Please feel free to ask any questions, most glad to be helpful.

Ok, so I should use 38-2538297 not 38-6000134 from your first message? 38-2538297 is the Payer TIN on my 1099-G.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes @marinez7, use the 38-2538297, the number on your 1099-G form. That is the number for the Michigan Bureau of Worker's & Unemployment Compensation.

JeriM

Is this the number I list on the 10b info for taxes on turbotax for Michigan ID #

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

The answer to your question depends on whether you had any state taxes withheld from your unemployment.  If there is a number reported for state taxes withheld, then you cannot skip boxes 10a, 10b, or 11.

If you had state taxes withheld from your unemployment, but there is not a state ID number on your form, then use the Federal ID number shown on your form in box 10b(This is the number being referenced in the messages above for the state of Michigan.)

If you did not have any state taxes withheld, then leave all the boxes blank (boxes 10a, 10b, and 11).  This includes the dropdown box for the state name.

If anything is entered in box 10a, 10b, or 11, then all of them must be filled in to avoid an error condition causing you to review the entry.  

@JeriM

Help.  I still don't understand what to put in the boxes.  

On the screen "Enter your 1099-G info" there is a box for the Federal ID No.  Is this number 38-6000134?  This number is not listed on the 1099-G form.

On the "Enter Any Withholding" screen Box 10b - State ID Number.  Is this 38-2538297?  This number is on the 1099-G form under Payer's TIN.

Thank you

You do have the correct numbers for Michigan.  

For the first page of the form on TurboTax:

State of Michigan
Department of Treasury
Lansing MI 48922
Federal I.D. #38-6000134

Use the 38-2538297 for Box 10B.

Where do I enter a 1099-G for a state or local tax refund?

Hello,

There seems to be conflicting information.

This post says to use 38-2538297 for both fields.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/discussion/state-of-michigan-1099-g-form-is-missing-in...

it is fine to use the 38-2538297 for both fields.  The IRS will accept either way.  

[edited3/28/2021 | 03:16 pm PST]

@rlh6805

Ok, thank you.  This makes the most sense.

rwill106

This number worked for me. Thanks! Michigan Unemployment should really just include this number somewhere on the 1099.

Nabrias

It’s asking for the state identification number which is not on my 1099-G

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies