Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I change the Iowa tax filing status?

My federal return status is married joint.  I would like the Iowa state form to be married joint not status 3 which is married filing separately on the same form.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It's on the third screen of the Iowa return.  On that screen is a title Do Any of These Situations Apply?  On that screen there is a checkbox for "I need to change or verify my Iowa filing status (select if married filing joint on federal)".  Click that box to open up the option to change from separate combined to joint for Iowa.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You can choose this filing status at the beginning of the Iowa return, but usually separate on the same form is better tax savings.  Any reason you did not want to use the separate/same return status?

the  last 2 years I got a better refund filing joint on the state form

I have not been able to find where to change it this year. Did not see any options as to where to do it.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It's on the third screen of the Iowa return.  On that screen is a title Do Any of These Situations Apply?  On that screen there is a checkbox for "I need to change or verify my Iowa filing status (select if married filing joint on federal)".  Click that box to open up the option to change from separate combined to joint for Iowa.

jmf203

Can the filing status be changed every year if needed or is the selection non-reversible?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can change the filing status of your return each year as necessary. This can be done in the Personal Info section of your return.  Simply select to 'Edit' beside your name and review or change your filing status. 

You can compare filing statuses to see which is best by using the information in the link below. Depending on your state of residence there can be a significant difference when checking the overall (federal and state) results combined.

@jmf203

62dd

I see this is from 2019 but on the 2023 tax I don't see this choice. Can you tell me where I change the State filing to married filing separate when i have the fed married filing jointly?

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

You can't change it.  On your Iowa return, you're no longer allowed to use a filing status that's different than what you used on your federal return.

Married taxpayers no longer have the option of filing separately on a combined return.

See New for 2023 Step 2 in the Instructions for IA 1040 for more information.

@62dd 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies