Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbo Tax Standard (Desktop version for Canada) install on M1 Mac Windows 10/11

I want to see if any community members have success with getting Turbo Tax Standard (Desktop version for Canada) install successfully on a Windows 10 or 11 virtual machine running on M1 Mac?

Most of my work is done on a Mac and the only software I run is Turbo Tax once every year.  So I would like to avoid getting a second Windows laptop just for filing tax.   I would prefer not to go TurboTax online.  Hopefully can hear back from anyone who are successful or who has not been successful in getting it to work.

Thanks.

12 Replies

We don’t have a downloadable version available for Mac OS. For people who don’t have a Windows computer, we have TurboTax Online, which will work on almost anything that has a modern browser. We also have an app for iOS in Apple’s app store. However, the code for TurboTax CD/Download will not work with these products. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax 

eyekor
Returning Member

possible workaround for installing tt in MAC

install windows virtual machine on mac
install windows os in the virtual machine
install TT on windows inside the VM inside mac

did it successfully 

I have been able to install Turbo Tax Desktop on Windows running on VM on Mac running on Intel processor.  Just not sure with the new Macs using ARM processor if it can still be installed successfully as I will be installing Windows 11 Pro for ARM.

@eyekor - are you using Windows 11 Pro for ARM and is successfully with the installing and using the software with no issues?  Thanks.

eyekor
Returning Member

Please check the turbotax system requirement at 

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tax/software/install

It has dependency on OS  and processor speed not on processor type.

Windows System Requirements

Microsoft Windows

Processor:

• 1 Ghz or faster

Operating Systems:

• Windows 8 or later (Windows 7 not supported)

Internet Browser:

• Internet Explorer 11.0 or greater

Memory:

• 1 GB RAM or more

Hard Disk Space:

• 500 MB for TurboTax (plus up to 4.5 GB for Microsoft .NET 4.5.2 if not already installed)

Internet Connection:

• 1 Mbps modern (Broadband connection highly recommended)

Display:

• 1024 X 768 minimum resolution 16-bit or higher colour

CD Drive:

• CD drive required if you are installing from a CD

Third Party Software:

• Adobe Reader 10 or higher (or compatible PDF reader)

Audio:

• Windows-compatible soundcard and speakers or headphones to play multimedia

Printer:

• Windows-compatible printer

Note: TurboTax may be installed on three computers and must be activated via Internet.

eyekor
Returning Member

You can try installing it as they have unconditional return guarantee. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/intuit-account-billing/turbotax-satisfac...

I don't know if you tried it last year, but (and for others reading), TurboTax for Windows works on an M1 Mac running Parallels with a Windows 11 for ARM VM. It's slow, but it works.

I wish Intuit had a downloadable offering for Mac users. With so many companies selling our data and so many breaches happening to companies that "take our data security seriously" and "use the highest standards to protect our data", storing our financial data online is NOT an option.

Thank you for your feedback, this is one item that has been brought forward to our engineers. We will send  your feedback also. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Thanks for the update @Jeremy Last .  I also find it slow but wondering if I upgrade the memory to 16GB whether it will improve the performance. 

By the way, what is the hardware specs of your Mac?  Just want to know for comparison and see if it will worthwhile upgrading the hardware. 

Obviously the preferable route is for Intuit to have a MAC version for the Desktop product.  However I am not sure how likely it will be happen because they will look at MAC users being a smaller user base. But again for the US version, they have a MAC downloadable product.

@TurboTaxBrenda - if you can also bring forth the feedback to the Product team that will be great.

My Mac is a M1Max with 64GB for RAM.

I think the slowness is Windows 11 for ARM having to run TurboTax which was built for Intel CPUs.

Microsoft’s Intel emulator just isn’t as fast as Apple’s. I haven’t tried it this year yet though, it may have improved.