Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We filed a joint tax return and I have an offset. I didn't earn any income last year and I was told it wouldn't be offset. This happen last year and we got everything bac

This year we offset and last year wasn't this isn't making any since
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

We filed a joint tax return and I have an offset. I didn't earn any income last year and I was told it wouldn't be offset. This happen last year and we got everything bac

What doesn't make sense is that there was no offset last year.  Your spouse could file Form 8379 Injured Spouse Allocation, and receive a refund of their share of the tax that was offset.  If you didn't have any income, the entire offset would be refunded.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My wife did file injured spouse the past 2 years and we got the whole return back, but not this year

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You will need to contact the IRS to find out more details or and why the offset was applied this year.   It could be an error on Form 8379 or something else entirely.   It also could be the the return has not been fully processed yet, and you have an additional refund coming possibly.    You should be receiving a notice if you have not already.  

1. An injured spouse may contact IRS before or after an offset occurs. Often, the spouse is aware that an offset will take place and wants to know how to get his/her share of the refund. The spouse may also call about the injured spouse Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, rights which are provided in the Bureau of the Fiscal Service offset notice.

2. When the taxpayer calls concerning his/her injured spouse allocation, TC 150 with Blocking Series (BS) 92 or TC 971 Action Code (AC) 071, use the this chart.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies