Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Unable to import from E*Trade, says "there isn't any tax-related info to import right now" even though 1099 consolidated is available.

You don't have to follow this thread for very long to know that people are having trouble importing from Etrade into TurboTax.

• We can guess that it is specific to the interaction between Etrade and TT because we aren't hearing from others. Also I was personally successful importing 136 pages from Schwab, and also importing smaller files from TD Ameritrade and Fidelity.
  • We also can verify that the consolidated 1099s and stock sale information is not available from the bank but rather from the brokerage, because someone has confirmed they made that error before solving their problem.
  • We also know that some people are successful, because the same user confirmed that when they selected E-Trade brokerage rather than the bank that it worked for them, although we don't know how big a file they imported.
  • We also know that some users aren't satisfied with manually inputting their 1099s and stock sale summaries and mailing in the supporting evidence, something I have previously explained and have had to do myself in the past. (I wanted to file early, so I never checked back to see when or if it was resolved. It was Schwab in that case.) Really the number of entries is small, and I personally wouldn't switch tax prep programs because of it, although of course it might influence my decision in future years.
  • We have also had a user reference an external tool in this thread that apparently worked for them.

Let's be blunt, because we've heard plenty of blunt complaints in this thread. Here is what we haven't heard:

• A TT employee (not a user) admitting that this is a problem.
  • A report from an employee team working on it defining the scope of the problem.
  • An expression of regret that this continues to be a problem two weeks before April 15.
  • An acknowledgement either that a) this is an optional convenience, not a required feature, or b) what specific relief is available to people who face this problem.

As an experienced user, I can offer the following:

• I regret that people continue to be frustrated with their inability to successfully import their tax data from ETrade. I acknowledge that this has been and continues to be frustrating for some users.
  • Given how busy both brokerages and TT are at this time, and given that it is not working for some people 2 weeks before April 15, I encourage anyone who is sure they have correctly requested the import and not succeeded to move on with one of two options:
    1. File an extension, and keep waiting in the hopes that this will be solved this year rather than next.
    2. Use a work around of your choice. Personally I would suggest you manually enter summaries* and send in your supporting statement if you have a long statement. It's easier to print and mail a hundred pages or whatever to the IRS, than to solve something we cannot control. *In addition to dividends and interest, there are four types of stock sales: short term covered (basis is reported, less than a year between purchase and sale), short term uncovered (basis is not reported by the brokerage,), long term covered, and long term uncovered. All of these, if you have entries, must be reported for each owner. I.e., if you have a grantor controlled trust and a personal account, you need to enter these for each owner/each 1099 you receive that doesn't import.

Unable to import from E*Trade, says "there isn't any tax-related info to import right now" even though 1099 consolidated is available.

Have same issue here and I only have about 400 trades so i don't it has to do with the number of trades. Has anyone post this issue here been able to successfully import from E*Trade yet as of 3/31?  Paid extra money for the Home and Business TurboTax version for the import function, been doing this for the last 5 years with TT and this is the first time having issue with the import.

Earlier a few weeks ago I was able to get my E*Trade 1099-B without any problems.   Now I CANNOT log onto E*Trade to get my corrected 1099-B.   To troubleshoot,  I was ABLE to log onto my E*Trade account using the correct password and user ID directly (i.e., again not going through TurboTax); so I have verified these items are correct.    Somehow there is a miscommunication between TurboTax and E*Trade.  

I see that others are having the same problem.  How soon will this be fixed? 

I had the same problem.

My fix was instead of importing it from the 1099-DIV screen. I imported it from the 1099-B screen. I didn't think it would work after many tries from the DIV screen. I think it must be a bug. Try doing it from the 1099-B import screen and let me know what you think. 

Note: the screens look exactly the same.

Very interesting. At schwab, there is only one option as these returns are combined. I will be interested to see if others report that this makes a difference for them.

What to try: Apparently there are separate import screens for 1099-DIV and 1099-B. 1099-B has the stock transactions. 1099-D reports the dividends. (Brokerages may combine 1099-INT with 1099-D, but these days some people don't have reportable interest, if they've been careful to keep their cash balances low. Brokerages only issue the form for amounts of $10 or more.)

To get all the information, both forms need to be imported. 1099-DIV has reportable dividends. 1099-B has reportable stock sales. Schwab and various other brokers combine these forms into one document, but perhaps E*Trade doesn't?

Also remember that because banks and brokerages historically had to be separate, you may have linked accounts but separate 1099's. Banks only have 1099-INT because they do not pay dividends or broker stock transactions, but you may well have an E*Trade 1099 (consolidated, or various separate forms) as well as forms from other parts of Morgan Stanley that are not consolidated and reported together.

Thanks for the tip.   As you mentioned there are several routes to get the data.  Today, I still locked out of the 1099-INT link since the log on did not connect; then I tried 1099-DIV - happy to say it was a SUCCESS!  I did not try the 1099-B (this was the link I was having trouble with and why I posted my comment).  

I haven't looked at the data yet, but I was at least able to get connected to the E*Trade server and download my data.   Hopefully, it did not make double entries for my other data (i.e., the interest and dividend data).  I only needed by stock trades from the 1099-B.

Glad it worked for you. I manually entered the 1099-DIV, so I had to delete that duplicated. 

Just make sure to check their tax id. Somehow it imported that with a totally different number. I manually corrected that and that was it. 

It’s so frustrating, so glad I can at least help a few people. 

Error message = " import was unsucessful --------  There isn't any tax-related info to import right now .".    I have hardcopy of the 1099 so I know this is incorect -- Etrade says no problem in their end -- Pls help... 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Desktop Premier version, you may elect to report summary information.  If your brokerage statements include a summary of your transactions, grouped by sales category, for example, Box A short-term covered or Box D long-term covered, you will enter the summary info instead of each individual transaction.  Follow these steps:

• Go to Federal Taxes / Wages & Income / I'll choose what I work on / Investment Income / Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.
  • Click Start / Update to the right.
  • Click on Add More Sales.
  • At the screen Did you get a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for these sales?, click Yes.
  • At the screen Let us enter your investment sale info, select I'll type it in myself.
  • At the screen Which bank or brokerage sent you this form?, select My bank/brokerage isn't here.
  • At the screen Tell us about your 1099-B, select I'll enter a summary for each sales category.

If a .csv file is available, you may be able to upload by following these steps: 

• At the screen Let's import your tax info, click Enter a different way.
  • Click on CryptocurrencyContinue.
  • Click on Upload it from my computer.   Continue.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was able to resolve the problem ( or I waited couple of days are the problem may have resolved itself somehow ) ...    If you are have same problem -- dont waste 2-3 hrs as I did trying to import data if you know you are using correct login info -- Simply wait a day or two -- The start with import of 1099-B instead of 1099-DIV -- Finaly able to import both 1099s from Etrade...   Regardless works for me -- Frustrated that I could not even find a link within the software to talk to a live person at Turbotax -- Had to Google "Intuit " and was able to talk to someone who was basiaccly reading from the same community forum that I was using --

The problem has to be with Turbo Tax.  I have the Premier version and haven't been able to import from my two brokerages, Vanguard and TD Ameritrade.  I'm receiving the same message as others "There isn't any Tax related info to import right now".  Always able to import in past years.  I have less than 100 transactions with each firm so if necessary importing can be skipped but Turbo Tax was purchased expecting to import and avoiding the manual input.  Intuit should get on this problem NOW.

Asal

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you tried a different browser or incognito mode when completing this?  

Please see the Help Article here that provides troubleshooting steps for importing.  The instructions mention Schwab but that is just to serve as an example.

If you have attempted all troubleshooting, please try the workaround suggested a few posts up by @JamesG1.

@allekat1958 

Unable to import Truist 1099-DIV. says there isn't any tax-related infor to import even though it is in account

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see our Help Article which provides troubleshooting steps for importing your 1099.

@Rex4Virginia 

hung05
Returning Member

I have the same error with Fidelity. I didn't have this problem for years even last year. The difference of this year is that they required to log-in intuit.com first before log-in the bank. Why? Does the intuit keep my bank records?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies