Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

HopeS
Expert Alumni

TurboTax telling me to mail form 8453 after e-file, but all my asset sales are already in the return.

You can enter this info in the investment section of TurboTax. Select the product you’re using for the right instructions.

You'll need TurboTax Premium or any TurboTax CD/Download product to add any 1099-B forms.

TurboTax Online

You can enter wash sale info in the investment section of TurboTax manually.  Select the product you’re using for the right instructions.

You'll need TurboTax Premium or any TurboTax CD/Download product to add any 1099-B forms.

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax and search for wash sales
  2. Select the Jump to link at the top of the search results
  3. Answer Yes to Did you have investment income in 2022?
    • If you land on Your investment sales summary, select Add more sales
  4. On the OK, let's start with one investment type screen, select Stock, Bonds, Mutual Funds. Then select Continue
  5. From here, you can import or manually enter your 1099-B
  6. Answer the questions about your sales. Choose to enter sales One by one when asked
  7. On the Now, enter one sale on your 1099-B screen, enter your info. Check I have other boxes on my 1099-B to enter and enter the disallowed wash sale loss in box 1g

For TurboTax CD/Download:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax and search for wash sales.
  2. Select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell any investments in 2022?
    • If you land on Here's all the investment accounts we have so far, select Add more sales
  4. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-B or brokerage statement for these sales?
  5. From here, you can import or manually enter your 1099-B
  6. Answer the questions about your sales. Choose I'll enter one sale at a time when asked
  7. When prompted, enter the info from your 1099-B
  8. On the next screen, enter the disallowed wash sale loss in box 1g
  9. Select Continue and answer any follow-up questions

Review the link below for more information:

How to enter Wash Sale 

Wash Sale Rules

@aznkk82 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

TurboTax telling me to mail form 8453 after e-file, but all my asset sales are already in the return.

I did that on the TT Desktop, manually adding the wash. Because the file was too big to import.

So I'm guessing IRS wants the 1099B from this summarize.

If yours is like mine, the only problem is the transactions that were flagged as wash sales.  Everything else works as just a summary of all the transactions.  There may be other transactions flagged for other reasons, but I'm guessing it is all wash sales.  If you enter them in TT one-by-one, it will take a lot of time to do, but it is possible.  However, if you do that, then the transactions that were not wash sales need to be summarized separately so when everything is added together it matches the totals that you said were already summarized in TT.  500 pages is a lot to print and mail.  Do you have other options from your broker in addition  to the pdf file - that's the easiest way?  Messages back and forth are eating into your window to resolve this - I think the TT instructions said three days after the return was accepted.  If we can talk offline it might be helpful to you.

i think printing it out would be faster then doing an amend and entering line by line.

What do you mean by talking offline?

email address and then use that to get phone number.  If you feel comfortable printing and sending all of those pages, then you have an answer to your problem.

HopeS
Expert Alumni

If you received a request to submit Form 8453 (U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal for an IRS e-file Return), you need to mail some forms to the IRS that can't be e-filed.

TurboTax creates Form 8453 for you, and it serves as a cover page for your additional documentation.

Mail Form 8453 to the IRS within three business days after you’ve received your acknowledgment that the IRS has accepted your return to this address:

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254

Receipt and Control Branch

Austin, TX 73344-0254

How to Mail Form 8453? See the link below:

Mailing Form 8453

@aznkk82 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies