Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Shared form 1095-A

How do I allocate the policy if I share the policy with more than one person. After checked off "yes" to the question ask if the policy is shared with other person, it only gave space to enter on other person. How do I enter other people's information. The policy is shared with four people, parents and two children. Parents will fill married jointly and two children will file individually. We agreed on 25% allocation for each person. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Shared form 1095-A

As long as you include one other person and all the percentages equal to 100% you don't need to list everyone. All the IRS requires is that your percentages are agreed upon by all and that the percentages add up to 100%.

You, the parents should reference one child and other children should reference the parent on their 1095-A entries.

Shared form 1095-A

Thank you so much for your response. Just to making sure, I am one of the children, and I received a 1095-A form myself, but it looks identical to the one my parents received except for the recipient's info. In this case, I would enter my dad's SSN, who is the recipient for the 1095-A form they received, as shared person in Turbotax, and enter my shared percentage, 25%. And same procedure for my brother who also in this policy. As of my parents, when they file their return, they will enter my SSN as the shared person and enter their portion of percentage, which is 50% for two of them. And all of us will enter the same numbers from column A, B and C on the Form 1095-A into Turbotax. Is this correct?

We all gonna use Turbotax to file our returns so I want to make this clear. 

Shared form 1095-A

You are correct.  All of you will enter the parent's social as the person that you shared the policy with.  The marired couple with enter the parent's social and their share of 25%.

All of the percentages must all up to 100%.

garca2018

Shared form 1095-A

I have the similar situation with one of my son who is not my dependent but he share the same F 1095-A. My question is when we add the same numbers in columns A, B, C in our returns as parents and his return as individual, only changed the porcentage. Do you have that step by step?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Shared form 1095-A

If your son did get a 1095-A, it is because at enrollment you told the Marketplace that he wasn't on your return. That’s why he received his own 1095-A . 

• In this case when TurboTax asks you if you are sharing your health plan
  • don’t check the box.

If your son did not get a 1095-A, TurboTax will ask you to enter a 1095-A on your son's tax return. He'll enter the info from the parents' 1095-A. 

• The next screen will ask you about your health plan being shared, so check the box.
  • Then you'll see a screen asking for shared policy info. You enter the following:
    • Enter the Social Security number in box 5 (recipient's SSN) on your parents' 1095-A
    • Enter the starting month and ending month that you had the insurance
  • Now you'll be asked to enter percentages for Your Premium, Second lowest cost Silver plan (SLCSP) and advanced payment.
  • You should see amounts on the parents’ 1095-A, columns A, B, and C. 
  • You both should agree on what percentage of those amounts you’ll each will claim on your return.
  • You can use anything from 0% to 100%, as long it all adds up to 100%.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies