Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

GloriaL
Expert Alumni

On this year's New York State W-2 in Box 14 there is "NYPFL" which is for New York Paid Family Leave. What category description should I choose for this box 14 entry?

The code that you will need to choose for this situation will be "Other deductible state or local tax"   NYPFL is a deductible state disability tax.  When inputting W-2 info the description drop down list for box 14 doesn't have a listing for this NYPFL.  

@SysSys

TB23185
Returning Member

On this year's New York State W-2 in Box 14 there is "NYPFL" which is for New York Paid Family Leave. What category description should I choose for this box 14 entry?

Does the NY PFL get reported anywhere on the NY State Tax Return as Taxes paid???  While I entered it as other mandatory state and local taxes paid on the federal forms, it doesn't show up anywhere on the NYS return.  Shouldn't it show up????

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

No. NYPFL in Box 14 of your W-2 should be listed under the category of Other deductible state or local tax when you are entering your W-2 on the federal screen. If you itemize your deductions, this is deductible on Schedule A of your federal tax return. 

@TB23185

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TB23185
Returning Member

Why don't we get credit for NY State taxes paid if PFL is really a tax?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

"Why don't we get credit for NY State taxes paid if PFL is really a tax?"

You do. The NYPFL, when properly categorized in Box 14, is carried to line 5a (state and local income taxes) on Schedule A. If the tax is not limited to $10,000 (limit for SALT - state and local taxes) AN if you have enough other deductions to use Itemized Deductions, the Box 14 amount will appear in the total for lines 5a, 5d, 5e, and 7 on Schedule A.

TB23185
Returning Member

But I don't get to claim taxes paid to NY on my NY state tax.  I only get to claim my withholding taxes paid??????

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Your state taxes paid (including NYPFL in Box 14) are deductible if you itemize your deductions on Schedule A of your federal tax return. On your New York State return, the state taxes you paid (not the NYPFL in Box 14) are deducted from your tax liability to determine the tax (or refund) due. 

@TB23185

maglib
Level 11

Premium payments for NYPFL must be funded post-tax. NYPFL premium is not eligible for pre-tax treatment under a section 125 cafeteria plan because required contributions for NYPFL are treated as a New York state tax.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/notices/n17_12.pdf

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

Thank you!! Why isn't this listed as the 'final resolved answer' in the forum??

I have a related question, what if NYPFL is deducted from all my paycehcks, but is not shown in Box 14 on W2. How do I claim the deduction on my NY state taxes?

Either, ask your employer to reissue you another W2 form which will include the NYPFL on that Box 14. Or simply figure out how much the total deduction amount totalled for the whole year and enter it as is there was an amount from your W2. Keep copies of those paystubs for backup in case you ever run into an issue down the road. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies