Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AndreasHair4U
Returning Member

Medical Settlement Taxes

I’m on SSID and received a medical settlement.  Will my SSID be affected and how much do I put back for taxes? Goggle is no help. I haven’t claimed any expenses in the past related to this claim. It’s 💯 pain and suffering. Thank you 🙏 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Medical Settlement Taxes

How it will affect the SSDI  is a question you need to ask the SS administration directly however here is a reference to read:  https://www.sagesettlements.com/blog/2018/november/will-a-settlement-affect-disability-benefits-/

Individuals who receive Social Security Disability (SSDI) have essentially met eligibility requirements by paying into the social security system and being classified as disabled by the Social Security Administration’s standards. A personal injury settlement will not affect SSDI benefits.

As for taxes :  

IRS Regulations

According to the IRS, any lawsuit settlement proceeds that a court awards for physical illness or injury are non-taxable. This includes wrongful death settlements, since the damages are imposed due to a court’s finding that a third party is responsible for the physical illness or injury that resulted in death. To qualify for this exception, the settlement must be compensatory, meaning that it must be a form of compensation for the pain and suffering caused in the case.

Since compensatory proceeds are non-taxable, they have no impact on a federal tax return. However, if there are any additional proceeds that are awarded such as punitive damages, payments for emotional distress, or awards for lost wages, those payments are considered income and are subject to income tax. Punitive damages are additional financial awards that a court may give to the family of a deceased or injured person in cases where the company or individual responsible for the death showed gross neglect or disregard.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7449321

Akil C
Expert Alumni

Medical Settlement Taxes

Hi Andrea!

Critter is spot on!

Thanks!

Akil C. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies