Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I have found a programming error (not a calculation error) in TurboTax, how do I notify them so they can correct the program?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

68 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If I have found a programming error (not a calculation error) in TurboTax, how do I notify them so they can correct the program?

You can post it here.  We can look into and verify it before we submit to our programmers. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. The error I believe exists appears on Wisconsin Form 1, Page 4, in the "Worksheet for Medical Care Insurance and Long-Term Care Insurance Allowable for the Itemized Deduction Credit." Line 6 of the worksheet pulls in a number from the Federal Schedule A -- the long-term care insurance premium amount used as part of the federal deduction for medical expenses. The number showing up in the state worksheet is different from the number that appears in my federal return. The state worksheet is showing the maximum allowable federal long-term care insurance premium deduction. The amount used on the federal Schedule A is less than the maximum because a portion of the long-term care premium was already applied as a self-employed business expense. I can find no State of Wisconsin adjustment that would account for the difference. BTW, because I use the standard deduction for federal, TurboTax produces no Schedule A. The federal long-term care premium deduction appears on the federal "Medical Expenses Worksheet."

any error resulting in the wrong tax would qualify as a calculation error for claim of refund of penalties and interest from Intuit.

Thank you for that reassurance. I am mostly interested in making sure Turbo Tax knows about this potential error so they can correct their programming and spare others the confusion. Do you know how to bring this info to Turbo Tax? I would assume they are interested in knowing about potential errors.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

In my test, the amount for the self-employed medical premium deduction on line 16, Sch 1 (1040) was added to the amount of LTC premiums used on Line 1, Sch A. This is what printed on WI Form 1, page 4, line 6.

Is that what you see?

I agree that the Wisconsin instructions are silent on whether or not these two amounts should be added together. However, since the business amounts could have just as easily been reported on Sch A, there is a certain logic in adding them together.

Let me look at this...

Yes, you have accurately described the situation. While, as you say, the Wisconsin instructions do not specifically say that premiums used as a self-employment deduction should not be combined with those used on Schedule A, Wisconsin does clearly say to use the amounts from Schedule A. And Schedule A makes clear that amounts used as a self-employment deduction should not be included on Schedule A.  From Schedule A instructions: "Reduce the insurance premiums by any self-employed health insurance deduction you claimed on Schedule 1 (Form 1040 or 1040-SR), line 16." So, I do wonder if Turbo Tax is pulling the right number into the state return. Thank you for looking into this. I look forward to your further thoughts.

So, I'll ask again. Is this really the way to notify TurboTax of a possible programming error? Do they not have some type of direct customer service contact point?

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@teds1 You can use our contact page to report this programming error:  https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

sack1171

On the last page of the Colorado tax return is shows the following

Taxes already paid 0 minus Total CO taxes 0 = CO tax due $73

tallfir

Oregon Form 10 and accompanying underpayment schedule are not taking into consideration that the Oregon Governor, Kate Brown, allowed the 1st and 2nd quarterly estimated tax payments to be made on 7/15/2020 just like the Federal govt. TurboTax (on Form 10)is saying that underpayments occurred on 4/15/2020 and 6/15/2020 and charging an interest penalty. This is incorrect! How can there be an underpayment if the payments were not due until 7/15/2020?

State Tax forms have not yet been finalized by most States, therefore the program would not have these updates yet. Updates are performed at least daily so as soon as the information is complete we will have the updates needed. Please note that the IRS as well as States, are not beginning to accept returns for tax year 2020 for processing until February 12th, therefore they still have some time to complete this. 

johnd1956

As a retired New York State employee, my pension is supposed to be tax free in New York  State.  My 1099R indicates exempt in the State ID and tax withled box ( box 14) , The TT instructions are to leave the taxable amount blank when the 1099 R says Exempt.  I did that.  On the NYS IT201, line 10 is where the amount of my pension is brought forth.  Then later on line 26 the pension amount is supposed to be subtracted out.  However my line 26 is not filled in thus overstating my NYS income and tax due.  I have tried to correct this numerous times in the Wages and Dedutions area of the Federal part of the return but in several cases the state taxable amount in box 16 was loaded as if I typed in my pension amount.  I even tried to delete the 1099  R income worksheet at the federal level and then typed in a new 1099R and it still does not subtract my pension at the NYS IT 201 line 26.  I did look online to see if this was a tax department change but it looks like it has not been changed and the pension should still be NYS Tax free.  Note. I am just talking about NYS tax free, not Federal tax free.  I do pay federal taxes on the pension.  

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Your NY pension should not be taxed and needs to be removed in the state program. If your income has not been excluded in your return, try these steps.

1. Log into Turbo Tax
  2. Select the State Taxes tab
  3. As you navigate through the screens, you will see a screen that says Changes to Federal Income.
  4. Scroll down to Wage and Retirement Adjustments
  5. The first entry below that will say Received Retirement income.  
  6. Start/ Edit
  7. Retirement Distributions Summary, Done
  8. On the screen titled Governmental Pension Exclusion enter the taxable amount to exclude from the NY return. Here is where you would enter the full amount of your retirement distribution.
  9. Continue
  10. The next screen will show you the Pension Deduction Summary

@johnd1956

I was filling out the 1099R form - box 7 is checked (IRA/SEP/SIMPLE) box - A window populated to please check that Box 7 - CODE 7 is checked because I am not 59 1/2.  But I am 62 and I verified that my date of birth in TT is correct.  So there must be an error in the date calculation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies