Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I owed taxes to my state for the first time last year and owed again this year. What am I doing wrong?

I worked in the state of North Carolina for 2 years and never owed the state money. But now, for the past 2 years, I've owed the state money. What am I doing wrong? Do I fix this via my W-4?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
OpeA1
Employee Tax Expert

I owed taxes to my state for the first time last year and owed again this year. What am I doing wrong?

Hello!

You need to increase your state withholdings. Please contact your (Human Resources) HR department and ask for the state withholding declaration. HR will have the correct forms you need. You need to increase this so they take out a little more for the state. 

Thank you for using TurboTax!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LynnMcQ
Expert Alumni

While NC does not tax Social Security benefits, they do tax other retirement income at a flat 4.99%.  If you find that you are owing NC, you can have state income taxes withheld from your retirement plan distributions. 

Enjoy retirement!

MelodyB
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

You're not really doing anything wrong.  

For one thing, most employees need to complete a Federal Form W-4, but not everyone needs to complete a state Form W-4. In addition, a Federal Form W-4 tells you how much Federal income tax to withhold from each employee's pay. A state Form W-4 tells you how much state income tax to withhold.  This is 1 option.

If your income is about the same year over year you could simply divide the tax you owed to the state n 2022 and divide that by the numbers of paycheck left in the year.  You could then set up estimated payments for the state in 2023.  Then you want to remember how much you paid so you can indicate that you paid estimated taxes for 2023 when you prepare your 2023 return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies