Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidentally entered Self-Employed Health Insurance, when I actually have a Marketplace plan. I removed it in Forms view, but it still includes it in my Personal wizard

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

I accidentally entered Self-Employed Health Insurance, when I actually have a Marketplace plan. I removed it in Forms view, but it still includes it in my Personal wizard

Your Marketplace plan is eligible for the self-employed health insurance deduction.  When you enter your 1095-A in the health insurance section, and answer the question about whether you are self-employed, TurboTax will ask you to link your 1095-A to your business and complete the entries for the self-employed health insurance deduction.  The Marketplace premiums you paid are deductible as self-employment health insurance to the extent you have self-employment income, with any remaining premium deductible on Schedule A.  So, as long as you are getting the self-employed health insurance deduction only once your tax return is correct.  In other words, the total self-employment health insurance deduction + amount transferred to Schedule A should equal the marketplace premiums you paid.

But, your other entry during the self-employed interview questions may have created a duplicate entry, and deleting that entry may solve the issue.

If this does not address your issue, additional details may help diagnose the issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Premiums for health insurance and long-term care insurance are not deducted on Schedule C.  Instead, they are shown as a deduction from your gross income on line 16 of Schedule 1 on form 1040 [self-employed health insurance deduction].

To enter your self-employed health insurance deduction please follow these steps:

TurboTax CD/Download

1. On the Here’s your [business info screen, click on Update next to your business. 
  2. On the screen, Your [XX] Business, in the Business Expenses section, click the Start/Update box next to Other Common Business Expenses.
  3. Click the Start/Update box next to Insurance Payments.
  4. Click the box next to the type of insurance premiums you wish to enter (in your case, Health Insurance Premiums).

Turboax Online

1. Click on Income and Expenses and then click the Start/Revisit box in the Self-Employment section.
  2. On the Here's your [business] info screen, click on the box Add expenses for this work.
  3. On the Tell us about any expenses screen, scroll down through the categories, mark an appropriate radio button next to Health Insurance Premiums and click Continue at the bottom of the screen.
  4. Enter the total health insurance premiums paid on the next screen, Tell us about health insurance premiums…

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Your Marketplace plan is eligible for the self-employed health insurance deduction.  When you enter your 1095-A in the health insurance section, and answer the question about whether you are self-employed, TurboTax will ask you to link your 1095-A to your business and complete the entries for the self-employed health insurance deduction.  The Marketplace premiums you paid are deductible as self-employment health insurance to the extent you have self-employment income, with any remaining premium deductible on Schedule A.  So, as long as you are getting the self-employed health insurance deduction only once your tax return is correct.  In other words, the total self-employment health insurance deduction + amount transferred to Schedule A should equal the marketplace premiums you paid.

But, your other entry during the self-employed interview questions may have created a duplicate entry, and deleting that entry may solve the issue.

If this does not address your issue, additional details may help diagnose the issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Actually, I'm not asking about Marketplace premiums, but Medicare Part B premiums that are automatically withheld from my husband's social security benefits. I understand that these qualify as self-employed health insurance payments. My husband is self-employed, and we will not be filing a Schedule A to itemize deductions. I am wondering where to list self-employed health insurance payments in turbotax.

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Premiums for health insurance and long-term care insurance are not deducted on Schedule C.  Instead, they are shown as a deduction from your gross income on line 16 of Schedule 1 on form 1040 [self-employed health insurance deduction].

To enter your self-employed health insurance deduction please follow these steps:

TurboTax CD/Download

1. On the Here’s your [business info screen, click on Update next to your business. 
  2. On the screen, Your [XX] Business, in the Business Expenses section, click the Start/Update box next to Other Common Business Expenses.
  3. Click the Start/Update box next to Insurance Payments.
  4. Click the box next to the type of insurance premiums you wish to enter (in your case, Health Insurance Premiums).

Turboax Online

1. Click on Income and Expenses and then click the Start/Revisit box in the Self-Employment section.
  2. On the Here's your [business] info screen, click on the box Add expenses for this work.
  3. On the Tell us about any expenses screen, scroll down through the categories, mark an appropriate radio button next to Health Insurance Premiums and click Continue at the bottom of the screen.
  4. Enter the total health insurance premiums paid on the next screen, Tell us about health insurance premiums…
DMorin32

I'm having a similar problem.  I have a duplicate SE health insurance because I also entered 1095-A, but even after deleting the 1095-A, I can't get rid of the SE health insurance.

I click on Business tab

It shows Let's find some business deductions - Continue

How do you want to enter your business income?

Doesn't matter if I select Walk Me Through or I'll Choose what to work on, takes me to the same list of Let's gather your business info.

I go down to the Less Common Business Situations.

Click on Update next to Self Employed Health Insurance

Self-Employed Health Insurance dialog says I need to return to the topic where I entered the amount.

But this IS where I entered the amount.

I even tried to go into the forms themselves, but they have me go in circles with reference entries, no place for me to make related changes.

Even tried to delete the Health LTC Wks, but it comes right back.

I have too much put in to redo the entire Schedule C.

Delete the insurance premuims you entered in error by following these steps:

1. Go to Business
  2. Under your business - Income and Expenses
  3. Health Insurance Premiums - Update
  4. Delete the description and amount

That will remove the entry.  You can check by going to Forms mode and looking at your Schedule C.

Self-employed Health Insurance article from TurboTax

DMorin32

I saw that article, but it's steps doesn't follow the product.

The trick was to select Update to the right of Profit or Loss from Business under section Business Income and Expenses.  From there it was more obvious on where to go.

But from the Let's gather your business info where Self-employed Health Insurance appears under Less Common Business Situations (less common?  Really?).

If anything, if that was the wrong place to go, then the resulting dialog should have redirected me to the right section, not kick me out and have to guess.

I even tried to manually clear it from the forms, starting in Schedule C, which for line 15 directed me to the health insurance worksheet, to the 1040/1040SR worksheet where the field could not be edited.

Speaking of the 1040/104SR worksheet, line 10 flagged that 10b needed to be filled out (the better option was standard deduction at the time).  Instead of TBTax filling that in with $300 based on the charitable cash donations I I already filled in in anticipation of an itemized deduction, it had me enter it manually and wanting me to guess what should go there.

I realize this tax year is a bit complex even for the simple returns, but come on TB Tax.   You need to get back on track or lose customer base.  I've used you for probably 20 years or more but after this, I think I'm switching next year.

How can I delete the personal (double) entry of my Medicare premium in TurboTax CD version? I only want to list it Medicare as a self-employment business expense on Schedule C.

SantinoD
Expert Alumni

You will need to get to your Medical expenses section under Deductions and Credits and delete the Medicare premiums that you entered. 

Follow these steps:

Medical, dental, and vision expenses are reported on Schedule A and entered in the Deductions & Credits section.

1. With your return open, search for Schedule A and then select the Jump to link in the search results
  2. Continue through the questions until you get to the section where you entered the Medicare premiums and delete those amounts.

@noreen5664 

I entered the Medicare premium as a business expense on my Schedule C. TT CD automatically entered the same amount as a Medicare premium on Schedule A. I didn't  enter it as a personal medical expense. I cannot delete this duplicate entry. How do I delete an entry TT made. Everything is correctly entered in the business section as a S-E Medical expense.

TT CD automatically entered the amount on my Social Security 1099 for my Medicare premium into a Schedule A line even though I had already entered it as a self-employed health premium on Schedule C.

Medicare plan B payments are qualified as Self-employed medical insurance premiums and should be entered under Business instead of in the Social Security Benefits entry area.  So go back and take it off your SSA-1099 entry.

You don't have to manually enter it or override anything.  Just don't enter it from the SSA-1099 and enter it in the interview steps as regular ins under business.

Self Employed health Insurance does not go directly on Schedule C so it will not reduce your Net Profit or self employment tax.

If your health ins exceeds your net self-employment income it gets split. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Form 1040 Schedule 1 line 17 (to 1040 line 10) and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies