Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to change income that is taxable to city?

my local income tax is wrong
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Go to your employer and ask for a corrected copy of the W-2.  Then, you can enter the "corrected W-2" into your return instead of the one with the incorrect amount.

How do you request a refund for the income taxes that were withheld after having W2 corrected?

Katina S
Intuit Alumni

If you have already submitted your tax return and it has been accepted by the IRS, you are not able to make any changes to it. However, you can file an amendment to update your return with your corrected W-2 after your return has been processed by the IRS. See our FAQ on How to amend a return.

@MissMLB

My daughter has not filed her 2021 tases as of yet.  I followed the advise given earlier in this discussion which was to enter the W2c tax data for the federal return.  When entering her tax data into her Michigan return the questionable entry was where it asked, do you live or work in the City of Detroit.  No.  She did not live or work in the City of Detroit.  Having entered this tax information I had to go into the tax document and omit the wages she earned on the City of Detroit return per the Income Tax withholding  Schedule W generated by her Michigan State tax data entered so that she would be refunded the income taxes withheld.  To address any conflict or errors regarding her tax data I am including a signed letter/statement with her taxes along with a Request for Refund and Abatement form 843 to explain the error, the reason for the request for a refund, and necessary forms including the W2c where there had been an error in her address resulting in City of Detroit income taxes being withheld.  Please comment if alternative resolutions are available. 

JillS56
Expert Alumni

My understanding of your question is that her employer withheld taxes for the City of Detroit. You indicated that she did not work or live in the City of Detroit and that there was an error with her address which caused her employer to withhold taxes for the City of Detroit.   The simplest way to get the refund would be to file the City of Detroit indicating that you are not a resident of Detroit.   

When answering the questions under the Detroit return you would answer them that she is a non-resident and did not work in the City of Detroit.   When it asks how much of her income is for the City of Detroit enter a "0".   The result would be that the return would issue a full refund of the taxes withheld.  

You do not need a W2c, you can fie with the original W2 and just claim as none of it was for the City of Detroit.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies