Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

anjones82

IF I had a job that i made LESS THAN $600 DO I HAVE TO claim that

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
AnnaB

If that was your only income and you were a Form W-2 employee, then no, you would not be required to file.

If you have other income or are filing a return (regardless of your income level), then yes, you must claim all income.

If the income was from self-employment or as an independent contractor (received cash, no taxes withheld, sometimes reported on Form 1099-MISC, but not required if under $600), then you need to file if your net income from the work is $400 or more (even if it's your only income) as self-employment taxes of 15.3% would be assessed.

17richel

How would one file this ?
17richel

How would one file this ?

I don't understand the $400 part. So if it was $250 in my case, do I need to report it or not?

I have the same question
sunraisin

Same question, if it’s less than $400? Or even $70, is it still necessary?

Hey everybody, I have an answer!!!
My situation: (trial period at a coffee shop (small business);  : $600.00> my actual taxable earnings>$400.00)

So what you need to do is file: a Schedule C form, type 1099-K

You will be able to follow the prompts give. So once you get through the options of adding your w-2 data, then you are able to get to a point where you can "add other income(?)/ income forms(?) (I forget as I am writing this, apologies)", and you can choose Schedule C income form; you then choose 1099-K once you get to that point, you can choose manually how you were paid- cash, checks, or other. You create as many drop-down fields required and enter the figures, and you are good to go.

I made $240, but I'm not going to get a 1099 at all from this. How and where would I report it?

If you have no expenses to enter against that income ...

You can report it as other income on Sch 1  line 8. Here's how to enter it in TurboTax.

• Click the Federal Taxes tab ( Personal in the Home & Business version)
  • Click Wages & Income. (Personal income in the H & B version)
  • On the screen "Your 2019 Income Summary," scroll all the way down to the last section, "Less Common Income."
  • Click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C."
  • On the next screen, "Let's Work on Any Miscellaneous Income," scroll down and click the Start or Update button for the last topic, "Other reportable income."
  • The next screen asks, "Did you receive any other taxable income." Click Yes.
  • On the next screen, "Other Taxable Income," enter a description and the amount. Click Continue.
  • On the next screen click Done.

The income will be reported on Sch 1 line 8 with the description that you entered.

I made $240 doing dinner theatre, and I was told that if I made under $600, I would not receive a 1099-MISC. I'm getting conflicting responses. One says I don't have to report, another says I do.  If I don't get a 1099, where and how do I file?

Oh my gosh, thank you so much! I've been freaking out because I don't want to get audited for $240.

Thanks again!

Andrew101
Returning Member

I had a w-2 a as 680 do I need to I need to claim it

Is that your only income?  If you have other income you do have to file a return and report all your income no matter how small.  If that is your only income  you don't have to file except to get back any withholding taken out in box 2.  

See the answer from CRITTER above.... This answer is the right and easiest way to enter income that was not reported on a 1099 because it was below the $600 threshold.  Thank you, Critter!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies