Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Expired TIN number

My husbands ITIN number has been expired since 2019. He was just now able to get the appropriate documentation. Would I need to amend my taxes from the previous years. What steps do I need to take. Also, it says to send in original documents with tax forms. Is there a way to bypass sending these in the mail. I would like to be able to have his only proof of id kept with him. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
NateTheGrEAt
Employee Tax Expert

Expired TIN number

Hello and thank you for writing in with your question!

If your husband does not want to renew his ITIN by mail, he can visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center or Certifying Acceptance Agent with all the documentation. These locations can review the documents in-person instead of sending them to the IRS. I provided links to both lists so you can look for a location near you. 

As to your question about amending your prior year returns - generally, to claim an additional refund you can amend a return within three years of the due date or two years of the date the tax was paid, whichever is later. So the 2019 return, which was due in 2020, would no longer be able to be amended to claim an additional refund but the 2020-2022 return years are still open for amendments to claim refunds.

You also didn't mention whether your husband has any income to report, so it's possible if he had income that hasn't been reported on a tax return yet, filing for him would create a tax balance owed. If he has received income such as a W2 and never filed, there is no statute of limitations for the IRS to collect unpaid taxes, so it would be a good idea to have him file as soon as possible and get started on paying those taxes if that is the case.

I hope this information helped! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies