Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wobint

Can I use TurboTax to verify my accountant's work? I think I've been overpaying for a couple of years.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I use TurboTax to verify my accountant's work? I think I've been overpaying for a couple of years.

The current online software is only for 2022 returns.  You could do a "dummy" 2022 return if you want to, but just do not try to file (or pay).   If you want to prepare returns for past years, you would need to purchase the CD/download and use it on a full PC or Mac.   Each year has its own software.   You can get software for 2019, 2020, 2021 or 2022.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

You may also want to explore purchasing the software from various retailers such as Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, Walmart, Sam’s, etc.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Sort of.  You can fill out an online return for 2022 to compare to the accountant's return.   You don't have to pay unless you want to print it out or file it.

For prior years you would have to buy the Desktop program.   They only sell the last 3 years.

The current online software is only for 2022 returns.  You could do a "dummy" 2022 return if you want to, but just do not try to file (or pay).   If you want to prepare returns for past years, you would need to purchase the CD/download and use it on a full PC or Mac.   Each year has its own software.   You can get software for 2019, 2020, 2021 or 2022.

You may also want to explore purchasing the software from various retailers such as Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, Walmart, Sam’s, etc.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
OpeA1
Employee Tax Expert

Hello  wobint:

You certainly can! Create an account in TurboTax Online and prepare your return. After you pay, you'll be able to print out the complete return and compare to your accountants.

I hope this is helpful!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Oh....and if you discover that your accountant made mistakes, then the accountant should file amended returns for you at no additional cost.   

You can compare the Form 1040's you prepare using TT by laying them side by side with print outs you have from the accountant---compare line by line if you end up with different refund/tax due amounts.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies