Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Possible to e-file with form 8621?

I am a US citizen living and working in Canada. As a US citizen, I must file my US taxes every year, and they're quite complicated, but the end result is always very simple: all our taxes are offset by foreign tax credits, and I receive the refundable child tax credit ($1400 per child). I typically do the taxes myself using Free File Fillable Forms to work through everything. However, because I have Canadian investments and Canadian self-employment income, I need to file form 8621 and I need to include a statement with a Canada Pension Plan coverage certificate that exempts us from self-employment tax. Those two pieces (and only those pieces) make it impossible to e-file for free using Free File Fillable Forms. Is there a way to e-file with TurboTax? I see TurboTax doesn't support Form 8621. Is there a way to attach a hand-filed version of the form to TurboTax to allow e-filing?

In the past, I've always filed on paper. We filed in June this year (can't file earlier, since the PFIC reporting needed for form 8621 isn't released by the fund companies until June), and the IRS still hasn't gotten to them yet, so we're still waiting on the refund.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Possible to e-file with form 8621?

Since TurboTax does not support IRS Form 8621, Information Return by a Shareholder of a Passive Foreign Investment Company or Qualified Electing Fund, the form can only be filed with a mailed tax return.  It is not possible to attach a non-supported form with the e-filed tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies