Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CM401
Returning Member

Nanny Tax - TT is calculating as if I still owe an employer portion of social security tax but I have already paid through a separate payroll service. How to fix?

I use GTM to handle all nanny tax filings and they timely submitted all tax payments, including the payments for social security taxes that I would owe as an employer. I have entered the tax payment information in the TT nanny tax section and the estimated payments in the separate section on Estimated Tax Payments. Together, these net out as expected. Under Deductions & Credits >  Tax relief related to COVID-19 > Self-employment tax deferral, TT is asking if I want to defer my portion of the social security payments for my nanny, which I have already paid (FYI, the section references both self-employment as well as household employees and the estimated taxes TT is calculating is tied to the exact amount of social security tax payments owed (and which I already paid through GTM) for my nanny). Note that the employee portion was also withheld and has been paid.

If I reply, No to the request and state that I will be deferring 0 dollars, TT is then calculating that I still owe that tax and will it pay it now even though I have already paid it and it is already reflected as an amount paid on the Estimated Tax Payments section (and because it is already listed there, I do not want to list it twice).

How does TT propose that I fix this so I'm not paying social security tax twice? Note, I am not self-employed so the only relevant piece here is the nanny portion. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Nanny Tax - TT is calculating as if I still owe an employer portion of social security tax but I have already paid through a separate payroll service. How to fix?

Leave the tax deferral question blank. The system is considering the entry as an override and must update that the tax has already been paid. 

If using TurboTax CD/Download, see this solution: Complete Schedule H without deferring any tax.

If using TurboTax Online with this issue, try deleting the Schedule H and re-entering it or switch to TurboTax CD/Download.

@CM401

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies