Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 2019 filing rejected due to IND-517-01 code, my daughter made less to have to file but she claimed for the stimulus check as a non filer

I can't reach IRS how do i update or correct? I mailed in filing
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

My 2019 filing rejected due to IND-517-01 code, my daughter made less to have to file but she claimed for the stimulus check as a non filer

There’s not really any correction you can make that would allow you to e-file claiming your daughter.

Once a return has been received with her Social Security number, another return can’t be e-filed with that same number. 

You would need to paper-file a return claiming your daughter.

Your daughter would also need to amend, indicating that she can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.

The IRS doesn't allow you to claim a dependent on your return what that person has filed a tax return of their own, and didn’t indicate that they could be claimed as a dependent on another person's return.  Please see the TurboTax Help article TurboTax Online instructions for e-file reject IND-517-01 for guidance in addressing this issue.

sutherlandws
Returning Member

I had the same issue this year.  My daughter than re-filed electronically and selected the proper box to be claimed as a dependent.  Her refund was reduced due to that change, so I assume that means it was properly adjusted.  I then waited 2 hours and re-filed my return now that the cause of the error has been fixed.  However, the next day I received the same rejection error.  What am I missing to resolve this.  To add to the complexity, I use the CD version of TT to file, and am now on a business trip without access to that computer to be able to make changes/refile.  I see that I have 5 days to resolve (so by April 23rd this year) but that is cutting it close, as I return to my home and will have access to the computer with TT installed on it on the computer on 4/22. Should I just file for an extension for now?  How do I find when my daughters' changes have been properly registered by the IRS and I can re-file?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You can't efile a return once your daughter has made this error.  Even though she has fixed it.  You will have to submit your return by mail.

@sutherlandws 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies