Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Married filing separate

I was married in 2022 but am filing separate. I did not live in the marital home for any part of 2022.

My spouse made all mortgage payments in 2022. How do I answer the home ownership questions?

If I answer yes to owning a home then all the other questions are populated (how much interest, property taxes, 

etc.). I did not make any mortgage or property tax payments in 2022.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Married filing separate

Just say no to owning a home since you will not be entering any mortgage interest or property tax.  BUT----are you aware that if you and your spouse are filing as married filing separately, you each have to file the same way?  If one of you uses itemized deductions the other one has to file with itemized deductions too.  Or you both have to use standard deduction.  It cannot be one of each.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Married filing separate

Are you doing a 2022 tax return or for 2023?  Online is only good for 2023.  

Married filing separate

if you paid more than 1/2 the cost of maintaining a home for yourself and a child who you can claim as a dependent whoo lived with you for more than 6 months, you may be able to use the head of household filing status. if you do properly use it, then you can use either the standard deduction or itemized deductions.

if you live in a community property state the rules are different

see IRS PUB 555 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p555.pdf 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies