Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter W-PR? The format is different than a regular W2 and I do not know how to enter in the information.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

How do I enter W-PR? The format is different than a regular W2 and I do not know how to enter in the information.

How long did you live in Puerto Rico last year?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I only worked there for a month for the disaster and received two W2s from my employer, one for work in US and one for Puerto Rico
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It's a double-entry.  Since you are not a bona fide resident of Puerto Rico, you must, as you indicate, report this income to the United States for taxation.  And while Puerto is a U.S. territory whose economy is on the U.S. Dollar, it is considered Foreign Income for tax purposes.  While the form layout is different, there are only two boxes that matter for reporting in TurboTax (although amounts in other boxes may be necessary to include in some of the additional questions asked if the amounts are not 0).  Box 7 on Form W2PR are the wages.  This number is entered in the Foreign Wages section.  This FAQ will aassist in showing where to enter this in TurboTax:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3290703

Box 13, on the other hand, were your taxes withheld.  It is on this amount that you have a potential credit.  This credit is called the Credit on Foreign Taxes Paid.  Please see this FAQ for more information on how to enter this information into TurboTax also:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302405

This is what you can do in TurboTax.  However, you also wish to file the W2PR on a Puerto Rico return to ensure you paid in the correct amount to Puerto Rico or if you are entitled to a refund.  That return is not available in TurboTax, but you can find more information at the following website:  http://www.portocapital.com/department-of-treasury-of-puerto-rico-porto-capital/ (Click on link.)

cberumen

I have a question if i have a employee that works for FEMA in PR and our company pay PR Federal for them and we pay SS and Med to United States, what type of W2 form do i feel out?

yjoseph23
Returning Member

Where does the amount in box 12 of the W2PR go for turbotax?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Box 12 on Form 499r-2/w-2pr is Expenses & Fringe Benefit

It is posted to:

Federal

1. Wages and Income
  2. Scroll to Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion
  3. Did You Make Any Money Outside the United States? = Yes
  4. What Form(s) Was Foreign Income Reported On?
    1. A statement from my foreign employer (could be cash)
  5. Enter Your Foreign Earned Wages
  6. Did Your Income Come From Either of These Sources?
  7. Confirm Your Foreign Wages Already Entered
  8. Enter the Value of Employer-Provided Goods
  9. Enter the Amount Your Employer Paid You Cash For

Items 8 & 9 will be reflective of the Fringe benefits.

Boricua1
Returning Member

Hi, 

I work for a PR Co.  (W2) but I'm living in Texas.  My wife work as a teacher  here in Texas, do I need to report my income with her.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies