Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taylor555

Brokerage Questions

I imported my vanguard tax information and now receiving a statement to review for the following:

A portion of those dividends is us government interest  or

I need to adjust dividends or this is an ESOP distribution  or

Some qualified dividends or section 199A dividends are from securities that did not meet the required holding period 

where do I find this information and decide which one is correct. This is very confusing.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Brokerage Questions

we can't see your 1099s. there is no standard format used by brokers so talk to them

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Brokerage Questions

Some brokerage companies issue a "Composite 1099 Form" that replaces multiple individual 1099 forms such as:

• 1099-B
  • 1099-INT
  • 1099-DIV

Sometimes, the individual sections of the composite forms do not include all of the information that is available on a standard 1099 form, such as the check boxes for short-term and long-term transactions on the standard 1099-B form. Instead, many of these composite forms simply group the different types of transactions so that you can readily tell which ones are short-term and long-term.

Here's detailed info on Dividend Taxes.  Government Interest may be in Box 10 on a 1099-DIV, for example.  Employee Stock Options may need a Dividend Adjustment.  Securities that did not meet the required holding period are Wash Sales.

If you can't determine which statement applies to your investments after reviewing your imported tax info (and other Supplemental Info), you may need to contact Vanguard for assistance.  Here's Community Discussion on that subject. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Brokerage Questions

You will need to calculate any amounts yourself using these tables.  Vanguard use to include these tables with the 1099 forms but now you have to get them online here.  There are 3.

Tax information for Vanguard funds | Vanguard

It can be hard to calculate.   I had to make a spreadsheet listing each fund, the dividend and percentage.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies