Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

H2G
Level 2

Backdoor IRA rollover entries including prior years

I have non deductible traditional IRA contributions from 2011(5K), 2012(5K), 2020(6K) and 2021 (6K). Last year I rolled all of these over to my Roth IRA. I should have done it many years ago, but didn't and this amount was sitting uninvested. So I now have a 1099-R with a taxable amount equal to $22017.82

The $17.82 is the interest accrued and should be taxable.

Where in TT online can I record all the prior year contributions so my basis is calculated correctly?

Thanks in advance.

HG

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Critter-3
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Where in TT online can I record all the prior year contributions so my basis is calculated correctly?

If you did not have this information carry forward automatically from the 2020 return  (this information for 2011, 2012 & 2020 should be reflected on the last form 8606 filed on the 2020 return)  then it  is  entered when you complete  the 2021  non deductible IRA contribution. 

View solution in original post

So am I out of luck now

No. you can

a) catch up on filing the missing 8606s, or

b) take your chances and put the total prior years basis on your tax return that reports the conversion.

IRS may  ask for your records.

@H2G 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Critter-3
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Where in TT online can I record all the prior year contributions so my basis is calculated correctly?

If you did not have this information carry forward automatically from the 2020 return  (this information for 2011, 2012 & 2020 should be reflected on the last form 8606 filed on the 2020 return)  then it  is  entered when you complete  the 2021  non deductible IRA contribution. 

H2G
Level 2

Thanks for that info, that makes sense.

Unfortunately I didn't record the info in form 8606 any of these past years. So am I out of luck now?

So am I out of luck now

No. you can

a) catch up on filing the missing 8606s, or

b) take your chances and put the total prior years basis on your tax return that reports the conversion.

IRS may  ask for your records.

@H2G 

H2G
Level 2

Thank you for the info.

I found the link to the IRS site to file the previous 8606s. I am pasting it here for others that might be looking for it.

https://www.irs.gov/prior-year-forms-and-instructions?find=8606&items_per_page=200

I really appreciate both of your replies. I have spent hours on the phone with TT expert support and the response has been underwhelming. One agent asked me to modify the amount on my 1099R so the dollar amounts were adjusted to only the 2021 contribution amount. Another agent insisted that the brokerage made a mistake and the 1099R was wrong. Another suggestion was that the previous contributions were no longer non deductible and that I had to pay taxes and a penalty on that. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies