Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dosco449

Relocated from NYC to CA but worked remotely for employer in California

I lived in NYC from Jan - Sep 2021, and relocated to CA in October 2021 (still living in CA). I worked for an NYC-based employer from Jan-Jun 2021. In June, I started working remotely for a CA based employer before physically relocating to California in October to continue working for the same employer. 

1. What should my residency filing status be for NY and CA? Part-year resident for both?

2. For my NY-based job from Jan through June when I lived in NY, I'm assuming I only need to pay NY state taxes. For the new job, how should I be taxed for June-September (living in NY; employer in CA), and October through December (living and working in CA)? 

3. In what order should I file my two state returns (NY and CA)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Relocated from NYC to CA but worked remotely for employer in California

You will file a part-year resident return for New York (from January through September) and a part-year resident return for California (October through December). 

For the New York job (from January through June), you only are liable to New York State tax because you lived and worked in New York. For the California job, you will still be responsible for New York tax up until the time you relocated because you earned the wages in New York as a New York resident. 

This agrees with the tax law of California, which states that the source of income from services compensated by wages for nonresidents is the location where the services are performed, not the location of the employer. Therefore, you will have to allocate your California wages between the amount earned in New York and the amount earned in California. 

Once you relocated to California, you will only be responsible for California tax since you are earning your income in the state. 

Lastly, it is suggested that you prepare the return for New York State first, followed by the return for California. 

For more information, please see How do I file a part-year state return? and for instructions on how to allocate your income, please see How do I allocate (split) income for a part-year state return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies