Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a U.S. taxpayer employed overseas. I file a Federal Return and a California Nonresident return only (under the California safe harbor provision). Does TurboTax support this? It seems to want to insist that I be a Resident in at least one state.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I am a U.S. taxpayer employed overseas. I file a Federal Return and a California Nonresident return only (under the California safe harbor provision). Does TurboTax support this? It seems to want to insist that I be a Resident in at least one state.

Yes. You should have a foreign address. The safe harbor allows you to file as a non-resident and make an adjustment to your CA wages to report your taxable state income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks! That's good to know. But I don't have a foreign address, I have an address in the APO/FPO/DPO system. Does that work?

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

Under Personal Info, you can go to Edit on the Summary page and indicate that your state of residence is a foreign country or US Possession.  Then when you enter your address you can choose the drop down for APO/FPO/DPO.

On the Summary page you can also edit the question:  Other State Income and indicate that you have to file a California return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies