Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in West Virginia and work in Pennsylvania. Does Pennsylvania send my state taxes to me and make me responsible to hand the tax money over to West Virginia?

Or will Pennsylvania directly send the state tax to West Virginia without involving me in the process?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I live in West Virginia and work in Pennsylvania. Does Pennsylvania send my state taxes to me and make me responsible to hand the tax money over to West Virginia?

It depends.  PA and WV have a reciprocal agreement that you pay state taxes on your income only where you live and not where you work.  What is happening for you depends on what is shown on your W-2.

If box 15 on your return says WV (which would be correct), then your employer is withholding and sending state income tax to West Virginia.  If this is what you see, you will prepare and file a West Virginia return only.  Your tax was sent to West Virginia, and you will do nothing more.

If box 15 on your return says PA, and you see any amount in box 17 (state income taxes withheld), then you will need to file a PA return with zero income (screenshots below will give assistance on how to do this), so that your PA taxes are returned to you.  However, you will need to pay West Virginia with the refund you receive, as you are taxed on all of your income to West Virginia.  Pennsylvania will not automatically send your refund to West Virginia: they will send it to you, and you will have to send it to West Virginia.  

If this is your case, you may file the following form with your employer to have WV tax taken out instead of PA tax: REV-419

Also, please note the screenshots and instructions below so that you can have your PA taxes mistakenly withheld refunded to you:  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I live in WV and work in PA. I had taxes taken out in both states. What do I do now? West Virginia is my home state. How do I get my money back from PA?

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@Jeffrey-Frank  You will have to file a Pennsylvania Tax Return.  When you do so through TurboTax, you will see boxes in a screen entitled Confirm This Income.  Check the boxes that make all of the income not-taxable in Pennsylvania.  This will create a PA return with $0 income.  Sometimes these returns must be mailed in.  If that is the case, you may also want to submit proof of WV residency (and a copy of the WV tax return) that shows you claim all of the income in West Virginia, and you should get your PA tax withheld refunded back to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies