Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AZ - How Check Box 82F

AZ Extension is automatic when file federal extension and was not required to send in more. I think I had the same problem for a number of years. For 2019 I had to file by mail so I could check the box. A few years ago I e-filed and was sent a delinquent notice since the box wasn't checked.   Unless I am blind I do not see an option to check the 82F box on top of the Arizona Form 140 Individual return.

AZ says: Arizona will also accept the federal extension for the period covered by the federal extension.  But how e-file with Federal extension or get box 82F checked on the upper right of AZ form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ronaldg11
Expert Alumni

AZ - How Check Box 82F

Hi Davephx,

More than likely, if you used TurboTax to file your AZ Form 204 (Application For filing Extension) when you do follow-up and file your AZ Form 140 (Resident Personal Income Tax Return), Box 82F should automatically be checked on AZ Form 140.  However, it never hurts to doublecheck to be sure.  Before e-filing, choose to mail your state Form 140 so you can review and make sure Box 82F is checked.  If it is checked, as long as you haven't  mailed the Form 140, you can go back into TurboTax  and choose to e-file and if it isn't checked you can manually check and submit by mail.

Hope that helps,

Ron G

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

AZ - How Check Box 82F

I don't file an AZ Extension since it automatically follows the Federal.   

I forgot TurboTax can not file AZ when you have Fed extension.   So signed up for efile of both.  My Federal is very complex so wanted to file it vs a huge amount of papers to send by mail.  Once I realized the problem I could only efile both not just Fed. 

Already got the late filing penalty notice from AZ.  So will have to reply by sending a copy of the Federal Extension.

I would think it would be easy to solve if TT had a question if you filed a Federal extension and check box 82F.   There must be lots of AZ folks who file Fed extensions (since no AZ is needed if file Fed) that would have this issue. 

ronaldg11
Expert Alumni

AZ - How Check Box 82F

Hi Davephx,

You're correct about not having to file, "AZ Form 204," when filing the, "Federal Form 4868 (Application For  Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return)."  But, even when choosing not to file AZ Form 204 (because you've filed Form 4868), more than likely, if you used TurboTax to file Form 4868, when you do follow-up and file the AZ Form 140 (Resident Personal Income Tax Return), Box 82F should automatically be checked.  However, it never hurts to doublecheck to be sure.  Before e-filing, choose to mail your state Form 140 so you can review and make sure Box 82F is checked.  If it is checked, as long as you haven't  mailed the Form 140, you can go back into TurboTax  and choose to e-file and if it isn't checked you can manually check and submit by mail.

Hope that helps,

Ron G

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

AZ - How Check Box 82F

I don't understand how you manually check and then efile. I thought I tried to click on the box - although don't recall for sure - but don't think it checked the box.   Yes, all I need to do is check the box but not sure TT will let me.   

I  filed the Fed extension with TT so "it should know" box 82F has to be checked.    

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies