Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2023 Oregon Form OR-A

This form is not populating.  As a result, the return is using the OR standard deduction which is much smaller than the taxpayer's itemized total.  How can I get the deductions to appear on Sch OR-A for 2023?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

2023 Oregon Form OR-A

Using TurboTax Desktop, you can follow the instructions below to itemize your Oregon deductions:

1. Open your state return.
  2. Go into Forms mode.
  3. On the left, scroll down to the Oregon Individual forms.
  4. Choose Info Worksheet.
  5. In Part V of the Info Worksheet, mark the box that states Itemize even if itemized deductions are less than the standard deduction.
  6. Form OR-A will be added.

If you are using TurboTax Online, please see information here on switching to TurboTax Desktop. If you already paid fees for TurboTax Online, please click here to get a refund if you will be using the desktop program. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

2023 Oregon Form OR-A

Thank you.  Some follow-up questions:

1) The taxpayer's itemized deductions are more than the OR standard deduction.  Shouldn't Form OR-A automatically generate, as it did last year when I used the online version?

2) If I use the Desktop version, will the return data carryover to next year, or will I have to use the Desktop version again next year?

2023 Oregon Form OR-A

Unfortunately, the above instructions did not work despite several attempts.  I either received error messages, or the menu choices I was supposed to select did not exist.  So I had to prepare the Oregon return manually to be able to itemize for Oregon.

2023 Oregon Form OR-A

Thank you for asking this question. The solution did work for me, but TurboTax needs to fix this problem or Oregon residents will not get their maximum deductions.

2023 Oregon Form OR-A

Thank you for this answer. Do you know why this has not been corrected by TurboTax? The default option should not be to take the standard deduction even if less than itemized deductions. It was not like that in previous years and does not make any sense as it does not give the taxpayer the "maximum refund" as Turbo Tax guarantees.

Kent16
Returning Member

2023 Oregon Form OR-A

Using the CD purchased TY2023 Deluxe version, the TurboTax error of using of the Oregon standard deduction also happened to us, but was not noticed until after submitting the State return, so we will now need to file an amended return. I tested their program on 04/16/2024, creating both a single and joint unsubmitted fake returns, and found that it still had the same problem.

So, at about 2:30pm today, 04/16/2024, I called TurboTax at [phone number removed] to notify them that Oregon returns, by taxpayers who own homes and usually have larger itemized deductions, are being created incorrectly, since their system is not populating the Oregon schedule OR-A. I also reported that their TurboTax supporting worksheet details indicate that they are automatically selecting "Check this box to take the standard deduction even if less than itemized deductions" on both the Federal and the State worksheets, without any request by the taxpayer. They transferred me to a supervisor who stated she had submitted the problem for review. I requested that after completing their review, they notify me of their findings.

If the error is verified, Oregon taxpayers owning homes (larger itemized deductions than Oregon standard deduction) who used the CD, will need to file an amendment to use the itemized deductions for their Oregon return. I stated that it will probably affect many Oregon taxpayers, so they should make it easy and free to do so.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

2023 Oregon Form OR-A

If your returns require amending because the wrong deduction amount was used, rest assured, TurboTax will make it easy AND free to do so.  @Kent16   @silversmith5 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

2023 Oregon Form OR-A

Turbo Tax should honor refund or some type of compensation for this major bug.  

This issue did NOT get fixed until after the tax filing deadline.  

it's a major difference in the amount of return .

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies