Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self Employed Tutor, How do I make quarterly payments

As a 1099-NEC tutor, how do I make quarterly payments to the IRS for my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
David_EA
Expert Alumni

Hello rorobrobro! 

Once you've calculated your quarterly payments,

• You can submit them online through the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System.
  • You can also pay using paper forms supplied by the IRS.
  • When you file your annual tax return, you'll pay the balance of taxes that weren't covered by your quarterly payments.

For more information on this topic click this link: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/a-guide-to-paying-quarterly-taxes/L6p8C53...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
David_EA
Expert Alumni

Hello rorobrobro! 

Once you've calculated your quarterly payments,

• You can submit them online through the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System.
  • You can also pay using paper forms supplied by the IRS.
  • When you file your annual tax return, you'll pay the balance of taxes that weren't covered by your quarterly payments.

For more information on this topic click this link: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/a-guide-to-paying-quarterly-taxes/L6p8C53...

Do I have to make quarterly payments?

David_EA
Expert Alumni

The IRS uses a pay-as-you-go income tax system, meaning you must pay your taxes as you earn income. It enforces this by charging penalties for underpayment if you haven't paid enough income taxes through withholding or making quarterly estimated payments. It also charges penalties on late payments even if you get a refund.

The IRS uses a couple of rules to determine if you should make quarterly estimated tax payments:

• You expect to owe more than $1,000 after subtracting withholding and tax credits when filing your return.
  • You expect your withholding and tax credits to be less than:
    • 90% of your estimated tax liability for the current tax year
    • 100% of the previous year's tax liability, assuming it covers all 12 months of the calendar year

The tax code calls this last item the safe harbor rule. This requirement increases to 110% of your adjusted gross income exceeds $150,000 ($75,000, if you're married and file separately).

One exception applies for farmers and fishers who earn at least 66.6% of their income from their trades and so only need to meet an equivalent amount of their tax liability.

Paying your taxes quarterly can also avoid the cash crunch you might face come tax time. Paying in quarterly installments makes paying your bill far easier than one lump sum payment, especially if you've underestimated your taxes due.

I just became an independent contractor in September. Can I wait until I file my 2021 taxes to combine this with my W2 for the rest of the year or do I need to pay quarterly taxes in December?

David_EA
Expert Alumni

You'll need to report income in the year it was earned. You're not able to report 2020 earned income in 2021. Please take a look at the link I provided in the original reply. I believe it'll be a good resource for you. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies