Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

simbarose20
Returning Member

The entire distribution was a RMD Only part of this distribution was a RMD None of this withdrawal was a RMD These options are bad! My distribution SATISFIED the RMD-hlp

I know what an RMD is.  I have 2 IRA's.  I know what the two RMD's are.  I STILL don't know what to chose as an answer to "How much of the $ was an RMD?"
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

The entire distribution was a RMD Only part of this distribution was a RMD None of this withdrawal was a RMD These options are bad! My distribution SATISFIED the RMD-hlp

Why doesn't the first one fit?  Say yes it was all the RMD.

simbarose20
Returning Member

@VolvoGirl because the RMD is the IRS-specified total amount required to be withdrawn from all IRAs in a given year.  A distribution itself is not an RMD.  It might satisfy the RMD requirement but it is not an RMD.  If you have two IRA's with two different RMD's, lets say 5k for the first and 6k for the second, and you get a distribution from the first IRA of 5k that meets THAT IRA's RMD, but you get a distribution from the second IRA of 1k which is insufficient, you might answer turbotax's question as "the entire distribution was a RMD"  for the first IRA and "only part of this distribution was a RMD" for the second.  OR if you got a distribution of 7k for the second, you could ALSO interpret the question to be "only part of this distribution was a RMD" for the second, because you got 7k, and only 6k of that distribution was required in order to satisfy the RMD.   If you got 15k from the first IRA and $100 from the second, you've met your RMD for both, but you could answer for the second that "none of this distribution was a RMD" because you met the RMD with your distribution from the first.   See why the wording has to change?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If you did not meet the requirement for one of your IRAs, you need to indicate that.

The IRS has a worksheet for that. RMD

Use this worksheet for 2021

Use this worksheet to figure this year’s required withdrawal from your (non-inherited) traditional IRA UNLESS your spouse1 is the sole beneficiary of your IRA and they’re more than 10 years younger than you.

Deadline for receiving required minimum distribution:

• Year you turn age 72 (70 ½ if you reached 70 ½ before January 1, 2020) - by April 1 of the following year
  • All subsequent years - by December 31 of that year
  1. IRA balance2 on December 31 of the previous year

2. Distribution period from the table (Table III) for your age on your  birthday this year.

3. Line 1 divided by number entered on line 2. This is your required minimum distribution for this year from this IRA.

4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 for each of your (non-inherited) IRAs.

Once you determine a separate required minimum distribution from each of your (non-inherited) traditional IRAs, you can total these minimum amounts and take them from any one or more of your (non-inherited) traditional IRAs.

RMDs were waived for 2020. If you reached age 70½ in 2019 and delayed taking your first RMD until April 1, 2020, that RMD was waived. Your 2021 RMD is due by December 31, 2021.

For additional information, see:

ahinkleva

The entire distribution was an RMD. Need to confirm the calculation,  What RMD table do I use/

See  2022 IRS Pub 590-B if you want to calculate it yourself.

If you have one IRA account and the custodian gave you an amount, it will be correct ( I hope ! )

@ahinkleva 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies