Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I received a Schedule K-1 for an investment in an IRA account. Should a Schedule K-1 been issued for an investment in an IRA account?

Thank you very much!  Will do.

I received a Schedule K-1 for an investment in an IRA account. Should a Schedule K-1 been issued for an investment in an IRA account?

How about a schedule K-1 issued to my S corp DB plan? do I need to report that K1 under my business tax return? Thank you

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

No, you won't report the K-1 issued to your defined benefit plan since the investments inside of that plan are tax-deferred.  

@sherry052169 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, that's what I thought.

This is exactly the same concept as IRA K1 toward Personal return Vs. DB Plan K1 toward Business Return.

I read an article today via fastercapital.com/content/Retirement-Accounts, which was totally opposite of what you're previously saying --

"Investments in individual Retirement accounts (IRAs) can be a great way to save for retirement. However, understanding the rules and regulations surrounding these accounts can be confusing. One aspect that can be particularly tricky is Schedule K-1 reporting. This is a tax form that reports the income, deductions, and credits of a partnership or limited liability company (LLC). When an IRA invests in a partnership or LLC, the IRA owner will receive a Schedule K-1 that they must report on their tax return. "

Do I misunderstand something here? Thank you

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

The key to knowing whether a K-1 should be reported on a personal return is whether the K-1 has been issued in the Social Security number of the individual or the Federal ID number of the IRA account.  Unless it is issued to the individual, it is not reported on the personal tax return.  

@sherry052169 

I was talking about a K-1 issued from a partnership to S corp's Define Benefit Pension Plan, using S Corp's TIN#

earlier April, S Corp received 2023 K-1 for DB Plan which was not correct. The partnership then revised it, and made 2022 K-1 as final since DB Plan didn't hold any of that investment. Now that we had DB Plan's 2022 K1 in hand in 2024, just wondering if this needs to be filed by amending 2022 company tax return. 

dmertz
Level 15

"When an IRA invests in a partnership or LLC, the IRA owner will receive a Schedule K-1 that they must report on their tax return."

This is completely wrong.  Nothing about the activities within the IRA are ever reportable on an individual's tax return.

If the Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) reports an amount with code V in box 20, the IRA might have to file a tax return (Form 990-T) and pay Unrelated Business Income Tax.  The payment of this tax by the IRA reduces the value of the IRA.

Again, the K1 we're talking about here is issued to S Corp's retirement account, applying to S Corp's TIN#, not the individual's SS#

Part II Information about the Partner

I1 What Type of Entity is this partner?  IRA/SEP/KEoqh

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

The same logic applies to Schedule K-1 issued to an S-Corp EIN, as dmertz explained previously. Only if the K-1 reports UBTI would the pension plan (not the S-Corp) need to file Form 990-T. Check with the plan administrator to confirm they have prepared this form, if needed.

@sherry052169 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies