Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

As a retired Louisiana state employee, I am exempt from paying state income taxes. Where do I enter this info on my returns?

First, on your My Info/Personal info, do you indicate that you were a Louisiana resident?

Second, in the interview after the 1099-R, did you see this screen?

Third, in your state return, did you see the following?

Are you seeing something different?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
PDaddy
Returning Member

As a retired Louisiana state employee, I am exempt from paying state income taxes. Where do I enter this info on my returns?

Look,

All the proper information was provided on the appropriate screens including the state and the information provided on the 1099-R. A TurboTax professional verified that the required information was not transferred to the Louisiana Tax Schedule E for both my 2022 and 2023 taxes. Again, denial of the problem with the software does not make it untrue. I know what I entered and what was not transferred to the state return. Own it!

PDaddy
Returning Member

Also, the information that was not transferred to Schedule E on the state tax return was manually entered on the state tax return but TurboTax software removed the entry saying it was previously entered and take into account when in fact it was not. This was also verified by the TurboTax professional. It is most frustrating when there is a programing error that is clearly identified is denied to save face. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You enter the 1099-R on the federal return.   Then, when you go through the LA return, you enter only the exclusion amount.   The excluded amount remains on your federal return but gets subtracted out to calculate LA taxable income on Line 8D.   The information for line 8D comes from the Louisiana Adjustments to Income, Schedule E.   So, if the amount is on that schedule, it was excluded from Louisiana taxable income and thus no LA tax paid.   @PDaddy 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies