Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why are my stock option transactions not appearing in a form 8949?

I made about 200 transactions of stock options in 2020. I imported them from my broker 1099-B. The total capital gain appears on Schedule D. In forms mode, the transactions appear in Form 1099-B Worksheet in the sections called "Quick Entry Table" and "Sale Results for Form 8949". But they do not appear in a form 8949. So no record of these individual transactions are included in my tax forms to be sent to the IRS.

Why? How can I get them into form 8949?

thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

IRS requires details for all Sell Transactions.

EXCEPTION:  if you aggregate Box A or Box D transactions with no adjustments, Form 8949 is not required. No mailing is necessary.

You have the option if you choose,  to detail those transactions on your Form 8949 anyway.

TurboTax is denying you this option.

This is a bug, not a feature.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

the quick entry table is for all security sales of types A or D (proceeds and cost basis reported to the IRS) where there are no wash sales or other adjustments, these carry directly to schedule D and not to form 8949

this is in accordance with IRS rules and procedures.

of course, if you want you can delete the info in the Quick Entry table and enter each of the 200 transactions separately.

I'm confused. The quick entry table obviously does not go to the IRS. So the IRS will not get the individual entries for these transactions, only their total capital gain on schedule D. Doesn't the IRS require that the individual transactions be entered (on form 8949)?

"If more than 100 transactions are reported in the Quick Entry Table, transactions for Box A and D of Form 8949 that require no adjustments will automatically be summarized and bypass Form 8949 for lines 1a and 8a of Schedule D. This significantly reduces the size of the tax return which generally makes it easier to print and e-file the return." Does this mean that the transactions are NOT required to be reported on 8949?

IRS requires details for all Sell Transactions.

EXCEPTION:  if you aggregate Box A or Box D transactions with no adjustments, Form 8949 is not required. No mailing is necessary.

You have the option if you choose,  to detail those transactions on your Form 8949 anyway.

TurboTax is denying you this option.

This is a bug, not a feature.

It means that summaries can be input rather than individual transactions.

You can delete the individual entries and just add a summary of each of the different sales categories.  Your 1099-B should have those groupings. For example "Short-term covered" or "Long-term covered".

1. Open or continue your return and search for stock sales.
  2. Select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2020?.
    • If you land on Your investment sales summary, select Add more sales. 
  4. On the OK, what type of investments did you sell? screen, select Stocks, Bonds, Mutual Funds, then Continue.
  5. When asked how you want to enter your 1099-B, select I'll type it myself.
  6. Answer the questions until you can select Enter sales section totals.
  7. You'll now be able to enter the total proceeds (sales) and cost basis, along with the sales category. Refer to your 1099-B for the amounts and category. When finished, select Continue.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies