Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bruced63

Mobile Home Lot Rental

I am considering buying a mobile home as an investment property.  Since it is not my primary residence, can I deduct the lot rental on my federal taxes?  If not, what if I created a business entity to own the property.  I'm hoping the formal business creation process is not necessary but I thought I'd through that into the mix.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Mobile Home Lot Rental

The lot rental is a deductible business expense for your rental property. 

Mobile Home Lot Rental

there's more to mobile home renting.  Generally, it's a passive rental activity and thus subject to passive activity loss rules. however, the duration of the rental activity matters. If the average customer use is less than eight days, the activity is generally not considered a rental activity for passive activity rules under IRC section 469 and profits are subject to self-emploment taxes. Also, if the level of services you provide to occupants is substantial (such as daily maid services, Wi-Fi, recreational equipment, etc.) along with the rental property, the net rental income may be subject to self-employment tax.

Any personal use by you may affect the deductibility of rental expenses.

bruced63

Mobile Home Lot Rental

Thank you for the response.  Would it still be considered passive income if the mobile home was actually a manufactured home (i.e., it's not movable)?  I refer to it as a mobile home but I guess it is technically a manufactured home.

Mobile Home Lot Rental

Doesn’t matter what the nature of the rental is. Unless you are a real estate professional the income will be classified as passive. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies