Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

darkstar88
Returning Member

Do I need to report NQSO/RSU sales from my 1099B if they are already on my W2, and how can I tell what type of sales are indicated on the 1099B if I did both NQSO & RSU?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

Do I need to report NQSO/RSU sales from my 1099B if they are already on my W2, and how can I tell what type of sales are indicated on the 1099B if I did both NQSO & RSU?

Yes, you need to report NQSO/RSU sales from your 1099B, even if they are already on your W2.

If they are both lumped together on one 1099B, don't worry about 'separating' them - they are treated the same. 

Just enter the 1099B information as follows:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6547345

(Check the first box on the "Tell us about your situation" page - it shows that ESPP, ISO, NQSO, RU and RSUs are treated the same).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ToddL

Yes, you need to report NQSO/RSU sales from your 1099B, even if they are already on your W2.

If they are both lumped together on one 1099B, don't worry about 'separating' them - they are treated the same. 

Just enter the 1099B information as follows:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6547345

(Check the first box on the "Tell us about your situation" page - it shows that ESPP, ISO, NQSO, RU and RSUs are treated the same).

Peter-CT

The linked response is not accessible. What is the answer to this question?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You may need to enter the Form 1099-B in TurboTax that is associated with employee stock sales and vesting and associated sale of restricted stock units (RSU's). The W-2 form will report the ordinary income portion of the transactions while the Form 1099-B will report the capital gains portion.

You will have to look at the description of what was sold to discern what type of stock was sold. If you are unsure, you will need to ask your employer.

For RSU's, you have ordinary income when they vest (when you take ownership of the stock). Since they are subject to social security and Medicare tax, shares are sold to pay those taxes. If this is all that happened during the year and you didn't sell any additional RSU's, then the sale reported on your Form 1099-B will be from stock just acquired, so there will be little if any capital gain. Consequently, when you report the 1099-B form, the cost basis may have to be adjusted to equal or approximate the sale amount. IF you sell RSU's later on, the cost basis reported on your Form 1099-B may have to be adjusted to include any ordinary income you reported when they vested. In this case, there wouldn't be anything reported on your W-2 for the shares sold after they were previously vested.

For non-qualifying stock options (NQSO's), the discount on them will be taxable when you acquire the stock. It will be reported on your W-2 form. Since they are not subject to Social security or Medicare tax, you don't have to sell any stock to pay those taxes, in which case you may not have a Form 1099-B to enter. So, everything may be reported on your W-2. When you sell them later on, you have already reported the discount as ordinary income when you acquired the stock, so you just need to know you accounted for that in the cost basis for the shares you sold.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies