Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 Turbo Tax Import vs 8949 Sheet Slight Discrepancies

Hello!

I auto-imported my brokerage 1099 into Turbo Tax. It brought in all my trades from what I see. I'm going through my Noncovered Securities (where I need to manually enter cost basis for each trade) and I'm noticing the following:

- My 8949 (brokerage gave me) shows separate line items for a couple transactions but the Turbo Tax import appears to have combined these amounts and are added as a single line. Is this ok? Or do I need to make them separate transactions like my 8949 shows?

- My 8949 (brokerage gave me) has a very slightly different value (off but a few dollars) compared to the Turbo Tax imported 1099 line item. Do I need to cross check this on my 1099 and fix?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

1099 Turbo Tax Import vs 8949 Sheet Slight Discrepancies

You can combine sales when you sold different lots on the same day.

enter the appropriate cost basis. Use "various" for Date Acquired.

For cross-check purposes you may want to enter each one separately.

TurboTax now stymies you if you want details of Box A or Box D listed  individually.

That should not be an issue for Box B or E since you have to enter the correct basis but maybe it will be an issue for you also.

For Box B or E, with missing or wrong basis, enter the correct basis and Code B in col (f).

In Col(g) enter -0-.

If you're getting bad aggregation by TurboTax, you may have to enter Code B for every transaction.

@vrobert 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies