sparksj337
Returning Member

State tax filing

Here is how I had to fix these issues myself, with no help from TurboTax. Hope this helps others!

1.) Correct TurboTax failure to compute Kicker.

Go to Forms View. Select "Oregon Surplus (Kicker) Credit Worksheet." Enter 2022 "Taxpayer(s) prior year tax liability." The Kicker amount will appear on Line 4 of the worksheet. Copy the amount on Line 4. Go Oregon Form 40, Line 38; use Override (Ctrl+D) to manually paste the Kicker amount onto Form 40, Line 38.

2.) Correct TurboTax default to taking Standard deduction.

Go to Forms View. Select Oregon State "Form 40 Worksheet. UNcheck box: "take standard deduction even if less than itemized deductions." Check the Oregon Tax/Refund box at the top of the screen. If it shows an increased refund or decreased tax due, leave it unchecked.

If these actions result in a better Oregon State tax situation, and you already did your taxes, you'll have to submit a revised return.  Before I did these things, TurboTax Premier told me I owed $1,149 in additional taxes. After these corrections, the Oregon owed me $3,488 --- the $1,149 tax I didn't owe but paid, plus a $1,349 Kicker, plus an additional $990 in deductions TurboTax Premier missed due to their hidden default box checked.