vaioy

State tax filing

This happened to me exactly as you described. After I finalized and submitted online my filing to both Federal and IN state taxes, with requests to both to directly debit from my account, I saw this coupon slip that I need to print out for sending in a physical check to the IN Dept of Revenue (IN DOR).

Then I remember that last year (for the 2022 filing), I did not send in the check before 4/15 because I assumed that IN DOR had debit my State tax, but it did not. I was penalized for late payment because I only realized that my State tax was not debited by IN DOR. I had to mail a check + the interests of late payment to IN DOR.

So, this year (for the 2023 tax filing) I printed out the coupon from Turbotax and sent in my check (after realizing that I also entered my bank account debit information for the State and Federal tax as Turbno tax presented to users). My check went through on the assigned date this month. However, when I checked my bank account this morning, there was also a direct debit from my bank account, a week after the assigned date !!! That means I have paid my IN State tax twice, with IN DOR double dipping my money that amount to $16k now ! 

I made an in-person appointment at the Indy state house to see what IN DOR can do to change this. No doubt, it will take months before I see my $8000 paid back.