Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bullzeyes

Students filing tax

Hi expert. I did me and my spouse tax using Turbo tax every year and fill on both my sons as dependents. My elder son now studying in university and he is 20 years old. We didn't realize that he need to start filing his own tax.

We get him to registered CRA account but upon entering his SIN number we encounter some sort of "account mismatch". I'm not sure this is cause by we entered his name and SIN number in our filling?

3 Replies
Moussi2

Students filing tax

You will need to check his info with Service Canada. The spelling or the order of the name has to match what they have on record. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Bullzeyes

Students filing tax

Thanks 

Since he never file his tax when he was 18 years old. Is that mean I have to file the year when he was 18 years old and paid Turbo tax fee for multiple years? Silly question sorry.

Moussi2

Students filing tax

Turbotax is free until 25 years old. Tax for free is for simple returns and covers many common tax situations, including:

• Employment income
  • Pension income
  • Other employment income, such as tips
  • RRSP contributions
  • Child care expenses
  • COVID-19 benefits and repayments
  • Unemployment (EI) and social assistance
  • Worker’s compensation
  • Disability amount
  • Worker’s benefit
  • Amount for eligible/infirm dependents
  • Tuition, scholarships, bursaries, grants, and student loan interest
  • Caregiver tax credit
  • Disability transfer
  • Home accessibility tax credit
  • Tax on RESPs and RDSPs
  • Tax installment payments
  • Age amount

Income, credits, and deductions not listed above aren’t covered by TurboTax Free this year. Visit our online tax software page to see the available options for more complex returns.

If you’re 25 or younger, file your 2023 tax return for free using any TurboTax Online product.

For more information, please see this TurboTax FAQ: Who can file for free using TurboTax? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.