Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to enter 0% as my percentage of investment income reported on T5 in joint account

When you enter your T5, did you enter on the bottom of it that your wife was reporting 100%?

Unable to enter 0% as my percentage of investment income reported on T5 in joint account

When I originally reported this issue, the problem was that the financial institution reported all slips to CRA only for the primary account holder (which was me), even though my wife contributed 100% of the funds (inheritance).

TurboTax then imported the slips (T5, T3, T5008) from my CRA account, and associated it with my return, but did not allow me to enter 0% for my attribution. The slips did not show up under my wife's return, and there is no way to "re-assign" these to the spouse return in TurboTax. 

So I had to delete all these imported slips from my return, and manually re-enter them on my wife's return. After that TurboTax defaulted the income attribution to 100% (for my wife) so I did not have to change anything.

But I fully expect CRA to re-assess my 2023 return and ask me to explain/ prove that what I reported is in fact correct and I am not playing games with income splitting. 

With the paired joint accounts I described in the prior post you avoid all the issues (the "bug" in TurboTax as well as raising flags with CRA).

We are verifying at our end, if there is a workaround. 

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

If 

If you read the original posts, you'll see the workaround was to delete the imported slips and manually re-enter them under the correct return in TurboTax. That worked, and I was able to file ... although I expect CRA will come back for more information. So no need to chase a workaround ... but may want to address this in the software for next year.

When I get the slips from the financial institutions (mailed or emailed to me) it has the names of both myself and my wife listed on the slip (since this is for a joint account). HOWEVER, when the same financial institution reports the income to CRA, the slips are ONLY REPORTED TO CRA WITH THE SIN NUMBER OF THE PRIMARY OWNER (I verified this with my financial institutions). So only the primary owner CRA account has this information which is then imported into TurboTax and used on the primary owner's return. But if the income is in fact 100% attributed to the joint (secondary) owner there is no way to do this other than delete the imported slips and manually re-enter under the correct return.