Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jawad-c

Why does TurboTax not calculate the Ontario charity tax credit for my donations? Only the federal tax credit was calculated?

2 Replies

Why does TurboTax not calculate the Ontario charity tax credit for my donations? Only the federal tax credit was calculated?

Donations are Federal non-refundable tax credits and not Provincial. Regardless of which type of donation you made you will find it under the Federal non-refundable tax credit.

Here is the information from CRA concerning Federal Non-refundable tax credits

ojnieb
Returning Member

@TurboTaxBrenda1   I am also from Ontario and I have noticed this as well for the 2023 online Deluxe.

I am using this calculator as a reference: Donation Tax Credit Calculator (Red Cross) 

For example, if a 10K donation was made, only the Federal Tax Credit amount from that calculator matches. That is, in the Donations and gifts row for the YoY comparison would only show 2,872.00 instead of 3,975.78 for the 10K donation example - i.e. it did not include the Provincial 1,103.78

Is there something I am missing?