Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date on medical expenses does not work

Are your dates for the 12 month period ending within the 2023 year? For clarification, please see our TurboTax article: How do I choose a claim period for medical expenses? 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Ok, what was found was that the claim period has to be at the beginning of month 1 and at the end of month 12, if you're a few days off, the claim period doesn't work.

Would recommend fixing the UI for this.

Thank you for the update and for your feedback, we value your opinion and will share this information with the proper TurboTax team.

scofenn
Returning Member

Also, I think the end date needs to be in 2023 but not sure?   They don't really say this anywhere that is convenient.  

Are your dates for the 12 month period ending within the 2023 year? For clarification, please see our TurboTax article: How do I choose a claim period for medical expenses? 

If you still need help with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact them, please follow this link: Contact Us. When asked if you wish to receive an email say NO then say "speak to a representative" then hold the line. If you do not find resolution please ask for an escalation to begin an investigation.

​​​​​​​Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

I also had problems with choosing a period ending in the year as the dates input would default to the calendar year when previewing the return. Spent over TWO HOURS on the phone with support, escalated to Tier 2 support, with NO SOLUTION. The software seems not capable of handling the dates input for the claim period. As this topic goes back over a year, this has been an ongoing and UNRESOLVED problem with the software. Ultimately, I asked for and received a license key for a desktop download version that I have been using for over a decade. No issues.

I also requested a call-back from management/supervisory staff and we're now almost three days later without any such contact. Terrible customer service at the risk of losing a long-time customer. Shame on Intuit.

PS Also noted that the online version does not treat foreign tax paid and foreign tax credits the same way as the desktop version. What gives?

We are sorry to hear that your experience with our phone support was less than optimal. 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. 

When entering a 12-month period for medical expenses, one common mistake many people make is entering the dates as November 23, 2022, to November 23, 2023. This will not work and it will automatically revert to January 1st, 2023 to December 31st, 2023. To avoid this issue, please enter the dates as November 23, 2022 to November 22, 2023. It is the difference of one day that will make all the difference.

I remember distinctly trying this a number of times (date to date - 1day), and this did not work, only on month boundaries did this work. 

My only guess is because this was a leap year, a calculation was fumbled. I would implore the Intuit team to look closer at this or create a better UI, where all you have to do is set the starting date.

Thank you @arthur5005 . The leap year issue is the best guess I've heard on this topic. 

I am using a twelve month period ending in the tax year that lands on the first of a month. At this point, I have been provided with the downloadable software and have proceeded with that accordingly as it absolutely allows the dates that I need.

Thanks again for your feedback.

PS I haven't been able to determine whether one can use less than a twelve month period as I suspect that most would never be in a position to want to claim less medical expenses. In a catastrophic health year, however, one might accrue more medical expenses, and therefore higher non-refundable tax credits, than one might otherwise be able to use.

@arthur5005 

Upon reflection, arthur, the leap year wasn't until 2024 so you'd think that theory might apply to next year's software development. Perhaps an excuse for it not work next year either? 🤔