Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I amend CA state return if I am amending federal return to report Form 8606 for non deductible IRA contribution?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Should I amend CA state return if I am amending federal return to report Form 8606 for non deductible IRA contribution?

No, you do not have to file an amended California tax return to report a 8606.  There is no form for Ca that the mimics the 8606 to record your non-deductible contributions to Ca. The reason for this is that those contributions are tracked in an 8606 on the federal side thus determines how much of a distribution is taxable. Once the distribution is deemed taxable on the federal side, the same amount is taxable to the state. The State of California fully conforms to federal filing thus has no need for a separate form in Ca to track non-deductible contributions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Mary. 

SonomaRon
Returning Member

Actually, that doesn't appear to be the case.  Federal has the SECURE Act that allows you to deduct IRA contributions if you are over 70 1/2.  However, California doesn't conform to this and you have to subtract out that IRA deduction if you are over 70 1/2.  Hence there's the issue of tracking a different basis for California and Federal.  I have no idea how to do this, to have an 8606 for only California but not Federal.  Reference CA Pub 1005 Page 6 re SECURE Act repeal of maximum age 70½

Also, TurboTax handles this incorrectly, both my spouse and I are over 70 1/2, and we both made a $7,000 IRA contribution and deducted $14,000 on our federal return.   Turbotax only subtracted out $7,000.   I had to make a manual override to subtract out $14,000 on Line 20 of 540 Schedule CA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies